Author Topic: How to measure MG lines?  (Read 3256 times)

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
How to measure MG lines?
« on: July 03, 2014, 06:46:59 AM »
Hi John,

I would like to measure some MG lines. However, if I put U Mg or similar, the software complains that MG is not a valid x-ray line. I disagree and say that MG is a valid X-ray line.

How would I do that?

Now I am measuring U La IV (and just set the peak position to MG), that works, but is more like a workaround...

Cheers
Philipp
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:00:15 PM by John Donovan »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: How to measure MG lines?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 12:43:36 PM »
I would like to measure some MG lines. However, if I put U MG or similar, the software complains that MG is not a valid x-ray line. I disagree and say that MG is a valid X-ray line.

How would I do that?

Now I am measuring U La IV (and just set the peak position to MG), that works, but is more like a workaround...

Let's just say that the MG line is "not supported".   Supported lines are Ka, Kb, La, Lb, Ma and Mb.

Why is the MG emission line not supported for quantification?  Well because we currently can't even do decent physics for beta lines much less these MG lines!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:47:10 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
Re: How to measure MG lines?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 12:51:18 PM »
Ok, fair enough. I will go for the U La IV workaround then. That is only about 2000 Cameca spectro units away from the MG, and PfE does not complain... :-) It only warns for a far away peak offset.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:01:54 PM by John Donovan »