Author Topic: Resonance lines - what do we know about it?  (Read 5815 times)

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
Resonance lines - what do we know about it?
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:59:16 AM »
Hi,

look at this, this is the Np Mg peak.

The second line to the short wavelength side of the Mg peak was suggested to be a resonance line. Does anyone have some sort of detailed explanation about resonance lines? How does it work? Can I measure the Np Mg anyway?

I was reading somewhere that this occurs also for the U Mg line. Is that for all the actinide Mg lines?

Cheers
Ph

Zack Gainsforth

• Graduate
Re: Resonance lines - what do we know about it?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 12:07:40 PM »
I'm not sure exactly which kind of resonance you mean, but it sounds like you're talking about something akin to RIXS (Resonance Inelastic X-ray Scattering).  You aren't seeing RIXS, exactly, because you have electron in, photon out, rather than an x-ray in x-ray out.  But a portion of the physics may apply.

The shape of the fluorescence spectrum changes in response to a few things including:

1) The excitation energies available.

In an e-beam instrument you don't have the same control over this that you have a synchrotron.  But you do have some control over it: R

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:34:52 PM »
Hi,

look at this, this is the Np Mg peak.

The second line to the short wavelength side of the Mg peak was suggested to be a resonance line. Does anyone have some sort of detailed explanation about resonance lines? How does it work? Can I measure the Np Mg anyway?

I was reading somewhere that this occurs also for the U Mg line. Is that for all the actinide Mg lines?

Cheers
Ph

Are these "resonance lines" what we also call "satellite lines", that is the SKa is the Ka energy emission from a double ionized atom?
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 12:22:02 AM »
It seems it is not a satellite line. According to Moy et al (2014) these lines are produced by the excitation of 3d electrons into the unfilled 5f subshell.

Mike Jercinovic

• Professor
    • UMass Geosciences Microprobe-SEM Facility
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »
Philipp, do you have this Moy et al. 2014 reference?  I am trying to make sense of this.  From the sound of it, this should be considered a satellite if there is an inter shell electron transition that affects the relaxation photon emission energy (like Koster-Kronig transitions).  Of course, this isn't really a question about semantics, but what needs to be done about quantification.  The efficiency of satellite formation (relative to diagram lines) can, in principle, be influenced by beam current, etc. so it's probably not totally correct to just disregard it.  I would think the most accurate approach would involve integral analysis including both lines.  Of course, I may be thinking about this completely wrong (my office is way too hot so hallucinations should be starting anytime).

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »
My point was that there is an Np MG satellite line indicated in your plot and furthermore as Mike J. says, the intensity of the satellite emissions varies considerably depending on beam current.

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 09:59:54 AM »
Yes, I have seen this peak, but it seems for the MG lines there is also these resonance lines. I am trying to get some literature, especially Bonnelle C and Lachere G 1974 J. Physique 35 295 "X-ray spectroscopic analysis of the 5f distributions of uranium in the metal and UO2" would be perfect, but I don't have access. Anyone does?

I found the Bonelle and Lachere paper. They talk a lot about this resonance line, it should be on the low energy side of the MG peak, whereas the satellite peak should be on the high energy side... Hm...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:05:45 AM by John Donovan »