Author Topic: Editing the xray.mdb  (Read 6170 times)

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
Editing the xray.mdb
« on: June 26, 2014, 01:09:13 AM »
Hi John,

I would like to edit the xray.mdb. There are some lines missing/wrong for the actinides. How would I do that?
It is some MS Access 2.0 Format.

I found out that I can edit the XrayLambda column without breaking the table.

I cannot edit the XrayLine column, I think, because the strings there have trailing spaces, which I cannot add, or better, access does not save them. If I edit this column, I get an error in PfE, that the conversion of the Roman Number to an integer does not work.

How would I add a new xray line? For example I have some Pu lines I would like to add.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Philipp

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Editing the xray.mdb
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:52:28 AM »
I would like to edit the xray.mdb. There are some lines missing/wrong for the actinides. How would I do that?
It is some MS Access 2.0 Format. How would I add a new xray line? For example I have some Pu lines I would like to add.

Hi Philipp,
The easiest option is to send me the lines you want to add/edit and I will add them. 

The other option is for me to send you my little utility to create a new x-ray database, but then you'd have to keep your XRAY.MDB version separate in order to restore it after updating PFE each time.  Or I could add a little edit menu to CalcZAF?  But you still have to keep the modified file from getting overwritten by subsequent updates.

So, feel free to send me the lines you want to add/edit.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 12:03:52 AM »
Hi John,

thanks for the reply. The best might be I send you the lines. However they will be changed for everyone. So I want to make sure they are correct. However, there are not so many of your users measuring Np spectra.

We are planning to publish these lines, because this has been done only by Kleykamp (1981), but our samples have higher element concentration, so we have some lines Kleykamp could not detect. For the rest, the data from Kleykamp are already very good. They fit to our spectra, but not to the values in the xray.mdb.

So, as soon as I have my table complete I can send you the data for Np, Pu, and Am. Th and U should be very well known. However, for U I found the M1-N2 line to be not correct. Nobody measures that, but at the moment we are working with some spectra and we use PfE with the KLM markers to identify some peaks.

Thanks for your help!
Cheers
Philipp
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:06:59 AM by Philipp Poeml »

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 08:32:28 AM »
Hi John,

where are we concerning this? Would you mind sending me your tool?

I saw that in calczaf I have an option "Create new xray database xray.all -> xray.mdb. The only thing I am missing is the xray.all. Can I find it somewhere? Would you mind sending me a copy?

Cheers
Philipp

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 08:54:42 AM »
Hi John,

where are we concerning this? Would you mind sending me your tool?

I saw that in calczaf I have an option "Create new xray database xray.all -> xray.mdb. The only thing I am missing is the xray.all. Can I find it somewhere? Would you mind sending me a copy?

Cheers
Philipp

Hi Philipp,
No problem.  Attached below is the whole "kit and kaboodle".
john

Edit by John: If you do edit it and keep it for yourself, you'll have to be careful because that file gets overwritten when you update.   Another solution is to send me the all the xray.* files when you are done editing them and I can replace my version with your version.

Maybe an even better solution is to just create an "update" .dat file similar in format to the XrayData5_8_99.txt file that I got from NIST in 1999 and I can can then merge that with the existing  XrayData5_8_99.txt file to incorporate your additional actinide line data.  In fact, this last solution is how I'd like to proceed, so please create an xray_ITU_2015.dat file with the same format as the XrayData5_8_99.txt file and I will handle it from there.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:03:35 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
Hi John,

yes, we can do that. But for the moment this is work in progress, I have to compete the dataset first. I am missing for example data for Cm Ma at the moment... Let's see if I can get some!

Cheers
Philipp