Author Topic: Bruker EDS and Cameca EPMA  (Read 1807 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Bruker EDS and Cameca EPMA
« on: April 23, 2019, 04:45:32 PM »
I have a question for Cameca EPMA instrument lab managers that have a Bruker EDS detector on their SX100/SXFive instruments.  My Cameca SX100 instrument at the University of Oregon actually has Thermo EDS detector (and Pathfinder software), so I am not a good resource for answering this question!

Generally Cameca provides Bruker Esprit EDS systems with their EPMA instruments, but in the past, Cameca used to supply Bruker EDS systems that were "stripped down" (at a lower cost), but with reduced functionality.  However, beginning about 10 years ago, because many EPMA users in the US and other countries wanted more capabilities from their Bruker EDS systems (for example, the ability to acquire and process spectrum images where each pixel of an x-ray map contains a full EDS spectrum!), Cameca started providing the full Bruker Esprit software package to their EPMA customers.

I was under the impression that these more complete Bruker EDS systems were pretty universal for new Cameca instrument installations going forward, but then I was contacted by a colleague who found a relatively recent Cameca SXFive installation which apparently has a "stripped down" Bruker EDS system.

I'm not even completely sure what exactly is missing from these "stripped down" Bruker Esprit installations, but I suspect that they don't have, for instance, the spectrum imaging capabilities mentioned above.

If you have a Cameca EPMA instrument, do you have a stripped down version of the  Bruker Esprit software, or do you have a full Bruker Esprit software package? Can anyone comment on these issues?  I'm really curious how many of the these minimalist Bruker EDS systems are out there, especially on the current SXFive instruments.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

klcrispin

• Graduate
Re: Bruker EDS and Cameca EPMA
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 05:20:36 PM »
They are definitely "stripped down" unless you specifically ask for and pay for a more "full" edition.  The only thing that the Bruker software can do is take a spectrum.  No mapping, no quant standardization, no line scans, nada.  Of course, I can pay $10K to "upgrade"....

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 10:00:15 AM »
They are definitely "stripped down" unless you specifically ask for and pay for a more "full" edition.  The only thing that the Bruker software can do is take a spectrum.  No mapping, no quant standardization, no line scans, nada.  Of course, I can pay $10K to "upgrade"....

Only $10K for all that functionality?  Sounds like a deal to me!  OK, it's not exactly "chicken feed", but for that price, I can't believe that Cameca just doesn't include a full Bruker system with every new instrument.

neko

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »
Our quote for a $35k x-flash 10 with full integration was about $144k.  8)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 02:15:46 PM »
Our quote for a $35k x-flash 10 with full integration was about $144k.  8)

So basically Cameca is selling these EDS systems for almost *double* what someone buying directly from Bruker (for a JEOL instrument for example) would pay.  Wow.  Time to get out the pitchforks...