Author Topic: Removing elements from the analyte list  (Read 2267 times)

Dan MacDonald

• Professor
Removing elements from the analyte list
« on: October 07, 2016, 05:53:57 AM »
Good morning, everyone:

I have a small question about removing analytes from the element list of an analytical protocol.  I am building another template for analysis of silicates for one user who wants  F, Cl, P and Ba included, but I want to be able to alter the element list on-the-fly for another user who wants just F and Cl included.  My question is, if I want to remove or not analyze for Ba and Ti for the second user, can I just remove or 'uncheck' the Ba and Ti from the "Elements/Cations" once I input a "New Sample" (temporally, user # 1 who wants F,Cl,P and Ba will be in the lab first, otherwise I would just add the extra elements to a simpler silicate template for user #2).  Thanks very much for all your kind support.

Best regards

Dan MacDonald
Probe Tech
Dalhousie University

Gseward

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
Re: Removing elements from the analyte list
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 09:24:25 AM »
Dan,

If you create a 'master list' of elements as an unknown, then use the 'add to setups' button in Analyze! you can subsequently reuse the master list sample setup when creating new unknowns. You can then modify the list of elements in the new unknown 'on the fly' by either deleting (or adding elements), or simply disabling the acquisition of elements.

Gareth

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Removing elements from the analyte list
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 09:26:05 AM »
I have a small question about removing analytes from the element list of an analytical protocol.  I am building another template for analysis of silicates for one user who wants  F, Cl, P and Ba included, but I want to be able to alter the element list on-the-fly for another user who wants just F and Cl included.  My question is, if I want to remove or not analyze for Ba and Ti for the second user, can I just remove or 'uncheck' the Ba and Ti from the "Elements/Cations" once I input a "New Sample" (temporally, user # 1 who wants F,Cl,P and Ba will be in the lab first, otherwise I would just add the extra elements to a simpler silicate template for user #2).  Thanks very much for all your kind support.

Hi Dan,
Yes, of course you can.

In fact you can make multiple sample setups in Probe for EPMA by clicking the Add To Setups button in the Analyze! window,

and then recall them with a mouse click, from the Load Sample Setups button in the New Sample Setup dialog whenever you want to.

For example, you can have a feldspar sample setup, an olivine sample setup and a glass setup all with different elements and conditions all in the same run.

Is Gareth providing some remote training for you today?  I think he will quickly make things much clearer for you. 

In addition here is a method, for saving/recalling analytical setups on an element by element basis:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=262.0
john

Edit by John: All new users of Probe for EPMA and Probe Image will benefit from working through Karsten Goemann's (most excellent) tutorial for quantitative analysis and quant mapping which begins here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=106.0

Whether one is acquiring quant points or quant maps, the setup is almost exactly the same...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:05:18 PM by John Donovan »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!