Author Topic: Wish List For CalcImage  (Read 32035 times)

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
Wish List For CalcImage
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:50:59 PM »
Hi John
One of my wishes is to be able of change some of the defaults in the output surfer script, e.g., I would like one map per page as a default and a wait time of only 1 second. At the moment I do a bit of editing and by the time I have done this, I might as well have run the default 8 secs. Any hot tips?
Cheers,
malc.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Wish List For CalcImage
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:00:24 PM »
One of my wishes is to be able of change some of the defaults in the output surfer script, e.g., I would like one map per page as a default and a wait time of only 1 second. At the moment I do a bit of editing and by the time I have done this, I might as well have run the default 8 secs. Any hot tips?

Yes!

Just edit this keyword in the Probewin.ini file:

[software]
SurferPlotsPerPage=1
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 05:30:58 PM »
Hi John
And while we have you as a captive audience at the other side of the room, have you considered using shared backgrounds for complex situations for mapping? At the moment we can use either MAN or off-peak.......
Cheers
Malc.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 04:22:35 AM »
Hi Malcolm,
I doubt it would be worth it due to the reduced precision for x-ray mapping. 

That is also to say, you'd have to acquire multiple off peak maps. It's an interesting idea since the multi-point bgd could handle any variation in composition automatically (that's one of its best aspects).  But although it could be done, would it be worth it?

For one thing, I doubt it would be an improvement given the limited precision of a say, 200 msec per pixel acquisition.  Instead I'll just mention here that if I wanted to do accurate mapping of REE minerals I would probably (surely) use MAN backgrounds.  I don't think one could do better for the time invested.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:18:46 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 05:18:28 PM »
Hi John
I am glad you said that. I am in complete agreement with your comments on MAN and mapping. In fact, even for regular REE measurement in such things as monazite, I would be tempted to use MAN and resort to off peaks for dealing with things like U, Th and Pb. I have yet to try this out, but will give it a go for mapping runs, where age maps can be generated? Watch this space.....
Cheers
Malc.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 01:33:22 PM »
I am glad you said that. I am in complete agreement with your comments on MAN and mapping. In fact, even for regular REE measurement in such things as monazite, I would be tempted to use MAN and resort to off peaks for dealing with things like U, Th and Pb. I have yet to try this out, but will give it a go for mapping runs, where age maps can be generated?

Hi Malcolm,
I'm not convinced that one can obtain sufficient precision in mapping mode for useful monazite age measurements, but yes, this can certainly be done in CalcImage as seen here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=100.0

Instead I would probably utilize the rectangular grid or polygon grid method in Probe for EPMA to acquire an array of single point analyses with sufficient precision and accuracy and then output those to Surfer for presentation similar to how these maps were created:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=60.msg227#msg227

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »
Hi John
That makes abundant sense/ While, I'm on a roll here and not being mysteriously logged out all the time, any tips on how to change that default 8 secs to 1 sec permanently? See first post........
Also, I briefly chatted with Paul C about this plotsperpage thing in probewin.ini. To save time, I usually spit out the detection limit maps at 4 plots per page, then do the quant maps at 1 plot per page. This means that I have to modify the script for either 1 or 4 depending on what I am doing. Would it be possible to set default scenarios for each plot type? e.g., 1 plot per page for quant maps and 4 for detection limits?
Cheers,
Malc.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 02:51:08 AM »
That makes abundant sense/ While, I'm on a roll here and not being mysteriously logged out all the time, any tips on how to change that default 8 secs to 1 sec permanently? See first post........
Also, I briefly chatted with Paul C about this plotsperpage thing in probewin.ini. To save time, I usually spit out the detection limit maps at 4 plots per page, then do the quant maps at 1 plot per page. This means that I have to modify the script for either 1 or 4 depending on what I am doing. Would it be possible to set default scenarios for each plot type? e.g., 1 plot per page for quant maps and 4 for detection limits?

Hi Malcolm,
These are good ideas and I will implement them as soon as I get back.  I'll probably just add some "checkable" menus items for the plots per page and the Scripter page delay parameters.

Thanks and nice meeting you in person!
john
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:30:54 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 05:33:54 PM »

Hi Malcolm,
These are good ideas and I will implement them as soon as I get back.  I'll probably just add some "checkable" menus items for the plots per page and the Scripter page delay parameters.

Thanks and nice meeting you in person!
john

Hi Malcolm,
So awesome to meet you finally in Hobart.

I've implemented your ideas in the latest CalcImage release.  The "plots per page" script keyword (for both normal output and also polygon output) is ready to download in v. 10.7.1. Below are some screen shots:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:46:48 AM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 06:30:54 PM »
Excellent........
Many thanks John. I'll give it a go......
Cheers,
Malc.

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 11:05:38 AM »
How do people manage there files? Would it be useful to be able to select the folder in which the processed maps are saved into?

What we do at the moment is collect quant point data in MDB file, then run a map - with raw maps in a subfile. I like to keep my maps and quant points seperate. Then when I run the calczaf quant map I call up the recipe from the MDB file and it outputs the processed maps to the MDB location rather than the raw map location.

Thanks

Ben

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
How do people manage there files? Would it be useful to be able to select the folder in which the processed maps are saved into?

What we do at the moment is collect quant point data in MDB file, then run a map - with raw maps in a subfile. I like to keep my maps and quant points seperate. Then when I run the calczaf quant map I call up the recipe from the MDB file and it outputs the processed maps to the MDB location rather than the raw map location.

Hi Ben,
You could modify one of the "custom" output scripts and set the output folder location in Scripter automatically at run time. See here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=55.0

and also check this recent script issue that you should be aware of:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=55.msg2352#msg2352

john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 08:13:17 AM »
Hi John,

right now I make myself a nice custom xy script for the surfer output. What could be cool, in calcimage, under sufer scripts, like a text box where we could set some variables that would be included in the script template, i.e. handed over to scripter.
For example I could set
SetXYorigintoZero%=1 or
SetXYorigintoZero%=0
then I could activate this subroutine in the script from within calcimage. I could use then the same script template for slightly different purposes.
Or I could add
UseColorscale$ = "blacktored" or something.

Stupid idea?

Cheers
Philipp

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
Right now I make myself a nice custom xy script for the surfer output. What could be cool, in calcimage, under sufer scripts, like a text box where we could set some variables that would be included in the script template, i.e. handed over to scripter.
For example I could set
SetXYorigintoZero%=1 or
SetXYorigintoZero%=0
then I could activate this subroutine in the script from within calcimage. I could use then the same script template for slightly different purposes.
Or I could add
UseColorscale$ = "blacktored" or something.

Stupid idea?

It's a good idea.  But let me ask, is your script a modification of one of the existing Surfer scripts?  That is, are you already utilizing one of the "custom" script menu positions in CalcImage to call your modified scripts? 

That is, are you saying you only need a text box in CalcImage where you can enter some additional script parameters as described above, that are automatically added to the custom script output section?  I assume we'll have to declare them as globals so your modified script can find them. Can you post some script code with the parameters you want to use?

Also, do you need these custom parameters saved along with the project?  I suppose it would be nice?   :)
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 09:41:50 AM »
Hi, would it be possible to add raw count maps to the traverse (slice) function output function in CalcImage? Currently it has only the processed maps as options for slice/polygon/multiple strip. 

Thanks!
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.