Author Topic: Running Thermo NSS Off-line for Data Processing  (Read 18092 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Running Thermo NSS Off-line for Data Processing
« on: December 10, 2014, 05:11:34 PM »
As you may know, Thermo Scientific allows their NSS software to be run off-line for data processing using the same license that you purchased for your on-line computer (unlike some other EDS vendors which force one to buy a license for each off-line computer).

This is a good policy if you want your software to replicate everywhere for "mindshare"!

To facilitate the installation of NSS for off-line data processing, particularly when utilized with the Probe for EPMA WDS-EDS integration for quantitative analysis, the following instructions may be helpful.

First install Probe for EPMA on your off-line computer by downloading and installing the CalcZAF.msi and ProbeForEPMA.msi installer files from this link:

http://www.probesoftware.com/Update.html

Run ProbeforEPMA once to set up all the necessary folders and configuration files.

Next, install NSS by using the CD or disk ZIP file from Thermo Scientific. Once this is complete you will need to move some files for the EDS-WDS integration using Thermo TE Portal interface. You should run NSS once to specify the license number from your on-line computer.

Next first find the Thermo NSS folder, which is usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Thermo Scientific\NSS, and locate the Service Tools folder as seen here:

Now make a shortcut to the SystemSIXSim.exe file in the Service Tools folder, and copy it to your desktop. This SystemSIXSim.exe file should be run prior to running NSS if you want to "simulate" EDS acquisition, but it is not absolutely necessary. But if you don't, you will get an "Unable to connect to hardware" error message when starting NSS. In that case just click OK.

Next locate the TE Portal folder and find the TEPortal.dll and socketdll.dll files in the TE Portal folder. These files should be copied to the Windows\System32 folder (on the Win7 64 bit OS, the correct folder is C:\Windows\SysWOW64).

This must be done so Probe for EPMA can find these dlls to integrate EDS and WDS quant processing. To make sure everything is done correctly, also copy the PortalTest.exe file to the Probe for EPMA folder, usually C:\Probe Software\Probe For EPMA, and double click the PortalTest.exe from there and click the connect button to make sure the TE Portal interface is working correctly from the probe for EPMA folder.

Next click the Disconnect button and close PortalTest. Finally double-click the Probe for EPMA icon to run Probe for EPMA and load your probe MDB data file for off-line processing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:04:16 PM by John Donovan »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Running Thermo NSS Off-line for Data Processing
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »
Some additional helpful advice as I just got another computer running Thermo NSS 3.3 in my lab for integrated EDS-WDS with Probe for EPMA:

1. You may need to edit the NSSMachineSettings.ini file for the TEPortal interface, but where the heck is it?

It's in a hidden folder called ProgramData on Win7 machines, so you'll have to set that in the Organize tab in the Folder Options list.

2. Once you find the NSSMachineSettings.ini file under

C:\ProgramData\Thermo Scientifc\NSS

you may need to edit the TEPortal section as follows:

[TEPortal]
Socket=5800
IPHost=127.0.0.1

because the Thermo installer sets the IP address by default to 1.1.1.1.

Using the loopback address (127.0.0.1) indicates that the Thermo NSS system is the computer so it will "talk to itself" for off-line mode.  If the Thermo NSS system is an actual SDD hardware, you'll need to enter the IP address of that computer.

3. Finally if you have a VNC server installed on your computer (as we often do for remote access), you'll need to edit the Socket port number to something other than 5800 because that is what VNC uses!  This works fine:

[TEPortal]
Socket=5801
IPHost=127.0.0.1
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:47:55 PM by John Donovan »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

pgopon

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:19:16 AM »
If you acquired EDS/WDS data simultaneously, but are only using the EDS as a qualitative check to see if there are elements missing.  Is there a way to turn off the EDS data and look at just the WDS data on a separate computer.  When I try to do it (i.e. turn off use EDS data in the calculation options), it gives me an error message saying NSS isn't connected.  Can I at least have the option to turn off all EDS data on the post-processing computer without having to mess with the NSS install?

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 11:50:25 AM »
If you acquired EDS/WDS data simultaneously, but are only using the EDS as a qualitative check to see if there are elements missing.  Is there a way to turn off the EDS data and look at just the WDS data on a separate computer.  When I try to do it (i.e. turn off use EDS data in the calculation options), it gives me an error message saying NSS isn't connected.  Can I at least have the option to turn off all EDS data on the post-processing computer without having to mess with the NSS install?

"without having to mess with the NSS install"?

Now you're just being lazy!   It's a few mouse clicks and then that computer is all ready to go!    >:(

Hi Phil,
Seriously, it checks for NSS (and Bruker) there because one can now specify the EDS quant method on a sample by sample basis.  Philippe Pinard, Karsten Goemann and Gareth Seward asked for this capability after M&M this summer. See here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=578.0

I'd have to think how this could be allowed because the MDB file stores the EDS interface present and EDS interface type flags internally, so at the moment you will have to endure the pain of installing NSS.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"