Author Topic: Wish List for PFE Features  (Read 225452 times)

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Wish List for PFE Features
« Reply #630 on: March 26, 2024, 08:53:24 AM »
Thanks for adding the import function to PictureSnapApp!

What would be handy is if there would be now a complementary export function in PFE for stage locations of unknowns (but really any kind of locations: standard/wavescans) that would allow me to export them into the PictureSnapApp compliant format with the option of either short-line labels or long-line labels as the comment.

This could either be from the Analyze! window in the right-click context menu (so that I can select subsets of positions) or similarly in the Locate menu.

I would have two main applications: one is that I could easily show locations for a single mineral type or sample without having to disable/enable the individual analyses each time in the mdb. Secondly, at times I run into problems with available memory with large images within PictureSnap but usually not within PictureSnapApp. That problem is on my side of course but it would be a super useful option.

We could do this...  but after the EPMA workshop!    :)
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #631 on: March 26, 2024, 09:02:57 AM »
Absolutely. Not urgent but thanks for being open as always to add it.
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #632 on: March 30, 2024, 03:36:13 PM »
PHA Scan peak fit

After peaking an element we often acquire the PHA bias scan. However, in the output (Display PHA, Peaking and Peak Scan Data) we get a peak fit only for the ROM Scan for the peak position, which is automatically updated for the element in the run.

How difficult would it be to implement a peak fit for the Bias Scan, where the peak is not always as smooth as a spectrometer position peak scan?

Or would it be at least possible to implement some feature where, similar to the peak scan position update, upon clicking in the graph, the new value for the bias is automatically updated for the element (would need to be an integer without decimals) ?

Until now we need to determine the new bias by hand from the graph and note the value on a piece of paper (or the more advanced of us use excel or other digital media  :P ), then go to the PHA dialogue and type it in for every element. Now this might be not such a big deal for the daily routine analysis, but when the routine becomes a set of 20 and more elements it is quite time consuming to do this manually. Sorry for being spoiled... ;D

Rgds,
Radek

Now that the Athens EPMA 2024 workshop has finished:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=99.msg12500#msg12500

We were able to get back to work!  I think we've implemented the right click for bias scans as you wanted:

And this right click update now also works on Cameca instruments for gain scans:

By the way, just a small aside, I've modified the simulation mode in Probe for EPMA to better simulate a gain or bias scan:

Better for teaching in the classroom using Probe for EPMA in simulation mode:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=837.0
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Radek_MM

• Graduate
« Reply #633 on: April 03, 2024, 12:36:48 AM »
Hi!

AWESOME! Thank you all for your effort! This is certainly making work with many elements and complicated runs a lot easier (and faster to set up the instrument)!

I checked it with our JEOL and it works just fine. Very much appreciated!

Thanks again!

And sorry I could not join the Athens workshop this time, I was just on holiday skiing in Lapland...  :)

Rgds,
Radek

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #634 on: April 04, 2024, 12:24:29 PM »
Thanks for adding the import function to PictureSnapApp!

What would be handy is if there would be now a complementary export function in PFE for stage locations of unknowns (but really any kind of locations: standard/wavescans) that would allow me to export them into the PictureSnapApp compliant format with the option of either short-line labels or long-line labels as the comment.

This could either be from the Analyze! window in the right-click context menu (so that I can select subsets of positions) or similarly in the Locate menu.

I would have two main applications: one is that I could easily show locations for a single mineral type or sample without having to disable/enable the individual analyses each time in the mdb. Secondly, at times I run into problems with available memory with large images within PictureSnap but usually not within PictureSnapApp. That problem is on my side of course but it would be a super useful option.

Your wish is granted!  :D

Download PFE v. 13.8.3 using the Help menu and you will find it in the Analyze! window right click menu as seen here:

The file format is seen here:

And when imported into PictureSnapApp:

I hope you find this helpful and I'm glad you are finding PictureSnapApp useful. For those interested in learning more about PictureSnapApp see here:

https://probesoftware.com/PictureSnapApp.html

and here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?board=34.0

It's a sample navigation app that is more flexible than one might suspect...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 01:38:18 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Scott B.

• Global Moderator
  • Post Doc
« Reply #635 on: April 05, 2024, 09:49:13 AM »
PHA Scan peak fit

After peaking an element we often acquire the PHA bias scan. However, in the output (Display PHA, Peaking and Peak Scan Data) we get a peak fit only for the ROM Scan for the peak position, which is automatically updated for the element in the run.

How difficult would it be to implement a peak fit for the Bias Scan, where the peak is not always as smooth as a spectrometer position peak scan?

Or would it be at least possible to implement some feature where, similar to the peak scan position update, upon clicking in the graph, the new value for the bias is automatically updated for the element (would need to be an integer without decimals) ?

Until now we need to determine the new bias by hand from the graph and note the value on a piece of paper (or the more advanced of us use excel or other digital media  :P ), then go to the PHA dialogue and type it in for every element. Now this might be not such a big deal for the daily routine analysis, but when the routine becomes a set of 20 and more elements it is quite time consuming to do this manually. Sorry for being spoiled... ;D

Rgds,
Radek

This was a fantastic suggestion Radek.

Thanks for implementing this John. Just used it for the first time in version 13.8.3, and it turned one of my least favorite method setup chores into a 90 second breeze!