Author Topic: Working Cameca SX50 for sale  (Read 1026 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Working Cameca SX50 for sale
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:41:15 pm »
We are considering getting rid of our Cameca SX50 EPMA.  It's a tungsten 4 spectrometer instrument running Probe Software's Probe for EPMA (v. 9.64) on a rack mount PC with a Bruker SDD 10 sq. mm and 130 eV resolution (about 5 years old) with imaging and WDS mapping integration running Esprit 1.92 (we have Esprit 2.x but haven't installed it yet) on a Dell Precision Workstation. The config is:

Spec 1: TAP, ODPb, PC1, PC3
Spec 2: TAP, PET
Spec 3: PET, LIF
Spec 4: PET, LIF

Lots of spare parts. Is anyone interested and what do you think it might be worth?
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Working Cameca SX50 for sale
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:44:46 pm »
We've realized that our old SX50 is actually more valuable as parts (we just lost a WDS crystal on our Cameca SX100 instrument, so instead of spending $10K for a new crystal from Cameca, we can simply move one over from the old instrument).

However, we are still interested in selling the Bruker Esprit EDS SDD detector and electronics.  It's only 4 or 5 years old (10 sq, 130 eV resolution, Esprit v. 1.9.4 software, +5 WDS inputs), so we are thinking of selling it for around $20K.

Is that too high a price?  What do you all think a Bruker SDD might be worth?
john

PS it's a straight line EDS detector (not a "dog leg" style as one typically finds on the Cameca under the front optical port), as this one goes in the 5th WDS port in the back, so it could be installed on any SEM or JEOL instrument that has a straight snout EDS port.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 11:00:10 am »
So we are stripping our SX50 for the Bragg crystals and anything else that might fit the Sx100.  Before we shut it down for the last time, I thought I would share a screen shot of the last version (v. 9.6.4) of Probe for EPMA that supports the Cameca SX50 DRV-11 communication interface:

I'm sure there's still a few SX50s out there running PFE, but "it brings a tear to me eye"...   all those good times we had together.    ;)

I would also like to mention again that we are selling the Bruker SDD EDS system that was on this instrument:

Bruker AXS XFlash SDD EDS Detector 1001, serial # 2078.  It's a straight tube, 10 sq. mm and 130 eV resolution (about 5 years old) with imaging and WDS mapping integration running Esprit 1.92 (we have Esprit 2.x but haven't installed it yet) on a Dell Precision Workstation.  This package also includes the full scanning electronics, and 5 WDS inputs for mapping in Esprit.

It came with an adapter flange for a front port which our instrument didn't have. That flange didn't fit the back port on our SX50 (where the 5th spectrometer would go), so our machine shop made an adapter flange that worked. Therefore I'm not sure what flange adapter would be needed if you wanted to put it on an instrument other than an SX50/51/100.

I've checked with property management and we can sell the detector/electronics and Dell PC and keep the money in the lab since it was bought with a gift.  We're asking $15K for it and we'll even pay for the shipping!  Please contact me off-line if you are interested in this SDD detector.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:15:25 pm by Probeman »

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Bruker SDD EDS
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:35:17 pm »
We're lowering the price on our Bruker SDD to $12K if anyone is interested:

Bruker AXS XFlash SDD EDS Detector 1001, serial # 2078.  It's a straight tube, 10 sq. mm and 130 eV resolution (about 5 years old) with imaging and WDS mapping integration running Esprit 1.92 (we have Esprit 2.x but haven't installed it yet) on a Dell Precision Workstation running Windows XP.  This package also includes the full scanning electronics, and 5 WDS inputs for mapping in Esprit, and the PC with everything already installed and ready to go.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:10:41 pm by Probeman »

neko

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 10:21:20 am »
Sold! Up and running! (well, mostly - still not sure how to plug in the SEM interface but I'll figure that out eventually - I mean, I know which bus it's supposed to go into, but there's currently a board there labelled "ACQ" so I'm going to consult with our Cameca engineer and see if we can figure out what's what).

I was curious though, you mention you had Esprit 2.0 but it's not installed - I take it that's not included with the sale, which is fine by me. I just want to confirm that so I can put it on the wishlist (from my casual reading it also looks like it doesn't run on Windows XP as they mention it's 64 bit software, so it's actually a good thing at the moment we're on 1.9 as everything else also runs on XP).

It's also super awesome that they run with a client/server architecture natively, that made things really simple when the bossman asked if it was possible to have it run on the main probe computer system, because I really didn't want to try to swap any hardware around.

Thanks so much for all the hard work of everyone involved in making this happen! Our old detector was degrading steadily after the window pop and losing light element sensitivity while also turning up small sulfur peaks for every acquisition, I can only assume that things were going to continue (and that doesn't even touch the fact that the software crashed on almost every advanced function, occasionally wiping all settings blank - hooray for backups!).

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 11:04:18 am »
I was curious though, you mention you had Esprit 2.0 but it's not installed - I take it that's not included with the sale, which is fine by me. I just want to confirm that so I can put it on the wishlist (from my casual reading it also looks like it doesn't run on Windows XP as they mention it's 64 bit software, so it's actually a good thing at the moment we're on 1.9 as everything else also runs on XP).

Hi Nick,
Glad it's working.

I sent you a Dropbox link to grab Esprit 2.1 when you are ready for it.

Hopefully soon you'll also have Probe for EPMA and then you'll be all set!     :)

neko

• Professor
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 02:04:36 pm »
Oh my! How nice! Thank you very much!

Telling people that PictureSnapApp is a fully integrated part of PfE has caught some people's eyes... if only my researchers worked in the office of research instead of actually doing the, you know, actual research. :D Every little bit helps though!