Author Topic: EPMA Events (Meetings, Workshops, Seminars...)  (Read 32956 times)

jrminter

• Professor
Re: EPMA Events (Meetings, Workshops, Seminars...)
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2020, 07:52:36 AM »
I should note that the streaming improved later in the week. I suspect the technical staff were fixing the glitches. It has been years since I could afford to attend in person. I hope that MSA makes a virtual option available in future years. I like watching the presentations from my easy chair and can pause them to get a break.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »
Those who saw the presentations by John Fournelle and Emma Bullock at M&M this week and were intrigued with how large an effect these "missing elements" had on the matrix correction of the other elements, might want to look through this topic here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=92.0

which discusses many of these effects in more detail. I have to admit some of the magnitudes of these "missing element" matrix effects certainly surprised me!   :o

Also here is a discussion on calculating excess oxygen from ferric iron using the method of Droop and including it in the matrix correction which Emma presented using Probe for EPMA, but instead using the free CalcZAF software:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=691.msg8592#msg8592
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:29:24 PM by John Donovan »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Juvegre

• Student
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2021, 01:18:39 AM »
Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the 2nd International 5-day VIRTUAL Workshop on EPMA developments and applications (Monday 5th – Friday 9th April, 2021 (provisionally 2PM - 6PM; all times in Eastern European Time; UTC+2).   

Electron probe microanalysis (EPMA) is commonly used to analyze the composition of solid geological materials to help answer a wide range of fundamental questions in geological and planetary sciences. The goal of this 5-day short course is to educate undergraduates, graduates, and early career researchers in the theory and practice of EPMA, with a specific focus on its application to geochemistry. This will be achieved through a set of online lectures covering topics ranging from conventional major element quantitative analysis to new developments in X-ray mapping, trace element analysis, measuring oxidation state and water content of hydrous glasses, and characterizing meteorites. A poster presentation from participants on the first day using Gather.Town will help participants get to know each other and highlight topics of interest for the rest of the course. 

Additionally, participants will have the option to acquire days of hands-on data on the EPMA housed at our lab (Laboratory of Mineralogy and Geology; Agricultural University of Athens) at a reduced price.

For more details go to: https://ibaziotis7.wixsite.com/epmaathens2021.
Register here: https://forms.gle/FUP6t6y2W6pncosu5.

We apologize for multiple postings.

On behalf of the EPMA workshop committee,

Best Regards.

Baziotis Ioannis

Owen Neill

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory, University of Michigan
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2021, 10:03:36 AM »
Dear colleagues,

Apologies for any cross-postings, but we would like to draw your attention to M&M 2021 Symposium P02: Many Detectors Make Lights Work: Advances in Microanalysis of Light Elements in Synthetic and Natural Materials. The submission portal is open! Please submit your abstract as soon as possible at https://www.microscopy.org/MandM/2021/. The deadline for abstract submission is Thursday, 18 February.

Symposium Description: Measurement of light elements (hydrogen through fluorine, Z=1-9) presents unique challenges not encountered when measuring elements Z > 9, but is nonetheless critical for a variety of applications, across a range of disciplines. Various techniques are available (WDS, EDS, EELS, SIMS, FTIR, neutron activation, etc.) all with their own advantages and disadvantages. Sample preparation is often a critical component for its analytical success. This symposium will highlight advances in the measurement of light elements in the materials, energy, biological and natural sciences. Presentations showcasing new technologies for the detection of light elements, improvements to existing methods, and applications of old and new methods to the analysis of light elements, are all welcome.

We welcome contributions covering the microanalysis of light elements across a range of materials and analytical techniques, such as:
•   Advances in technologies for the detection of light elements.
•   Improvements to existing methods for light element analysis.
•   Soft X-ray spectrometry, neutron activation, EDS, WDS, SIMS, FTIR.
•   Analysis of light elements for energy technology applications.
•   Measurement of light elements in earth and material sciences.

Feel free to share this information with other potentially interested colleagues. We look forward to seeing you in Pittsburgh!

Best Regards,

The organizers of Symposium P02:
Anette von der Handt, University of Minnesota
Jed Mosenfelder, University of Minnesota
Owen Neill, University of Michigan
Jamie Weaver, NIST

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2021, 12:53:03 PM »
I see that GSA Portland is October 10-13 this year:

https://community.geosociety.org/gsa2021/home

I'm hoping that I (and everyone else) will be vaccinated by then so we can meet in person once again. But my question is: when does the abstract submission period begin for GSA?  I am hoping to be able to present something that the geologists might be interested in.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"