Author Topic: EPMA Events (Meetings, Workshops, Seminars...)  (Read 27524 times)

Julien

• Professor
  • The truth is out there...
    • Geoloweb - J. Allaz personal website
Re: EPMA Events (Meetings, Workshops, Seminars...)
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2019, 07:28:56 am »
Hello

Abstract submission for Quantitative Microanalysis 2019 is open!  QMA 2019 is an MAS Topical Conference focused on topics related to quantitative microanalysis by wavelength-dispersive (WDS) and energy-dispersive (EDS) spectrometry.

Deadline (talk): May 15th
Deadline (poster): June 1st
Rolling acceptance - submit early to get a spot

The conference will be held June 24-27, 2019 at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. 

For a list of programmatic topics, registration, abstract template, and submission please visit our website:
https://the-mas.org/events/topical-conferences/qma-2019/

We look forward to your contribution,
QMA 2019 Organizing Committee

Owen Neill

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory, University of Michigan
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2019, 07:25:55 am »
Dear colleagues,

Apologies for any cross-postings, but we would like to draw your attention to M&M 2019 Symposium P10: Applications of integrated electron probe microscopy and microanalysis techniques in characterizing natural and synthetic materials. The submission portal is open! Submit your 2-page paper as soon as possible at https://www.microscopy.org/MandM/2019/. The deadline for abstract submission is Friday, February 15.

Symposium Description: Electron microbeam techniques, such as SEM/ESEM, EPMA and TEM/STEM, use a focused electron probe or a small parallel electron beam to bombard a specimen and generate signals at a scale from micrometer down to Angstrom level. These signals include secondary electron (SE), backscattered electron (BSE), characteristic X-ray, cathodoluminescence (CL), transmitted electron, diffracted or scattered electron, etc. Information acquired using these signals includes image, chemistry and crystal structure of a specimen at micrometer, nanometer and sub-Angstrom levels.

We welcome contributions covering the entire range of electron probe microscopy and microanalysis of natural and synthetic materials, such as:
•          Imaging from SE, BSE, X-ray, CL, charge contrast, transmitted electron, diffracted or scattered electron, etc.
•          Qualitative and quantitative determination of chemistry of natural and synthetic materials
•          Repeatability, reproducibility and compatibility of quantitative microanalysis standards
•          Crystal structure determination using electron diffraction or electron backscattered diffraction (EBSD)

Feel free to share this information to other potentially interested colleagues. We are very much looking forward to seeing you in Portland!

Best Regards,

The organizers of Symposium P10:
Donggao Zhao, University of Missouri-Kansas City
Minghua Ren, University of Nevada - Las Vegas
Owen Neill, University of Michigan

Owen Neill

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2019, 12:56:58 pm »
Dear colleagues,

Early bird registration for Quantitative Microanalysis 2019 has been extended to April 15th!
The application deadline for Early Career Scholar financial support has also been extended to April 15th!  Students who submit an abstract for a presentation or poster by April 15th with advisor support will have first priority for NSF funding reimbursement.  Additional funds for students who submit an abstract or attend the meeting will be reimbursed on a funds availability basis. 

Our invited speakers to date include:
• Ben Buse (University of Bristol, UK): field emission EPMA.
• John Donovan (Probe Software, USA): quantitative compositional X-ray mapping.
• Karsten Goemann (University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia): Fine-tuning SEM for quantitative analysis and combined EDS-WDS
• Mike Jercinovic (University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA), Trace element analysis
• Colin MacRae (CSIRO Mineral Resources, Clayton, Australia): Cathodoluminescence
• Mike Mengason (NIST, USA): Standards-based SEM-EDS analysis
• Aurelien Moy (University of Wisconsin): Thin films and quantitative measurements of non-traditional X-ray lines.
• William Nachlas (Syracuse University, USA): Standards and reference materials

QMA 2019 will be held at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, from June 24-27, 2019. This topical conference will focus on EPMA-WDS, SEM-EDS, and advances in microanalysis, including cathodoluminescence, micro X-ray fluorescence, and other topics. The meeting will consist of a day of user meetings and interaction with sponsor representatives, and a three-day plenary meeting which includes tutorials and advances in microanalysis, instrumentation demos, group lunches and other networking opportunities, social mixers and a banquet.

Thanks to our sponsors!
Platinum: Thermo Fisher, Oxford Instruments, Cameca, JEOL, and Bruker
Gold: Probe Software
Silver: EMS, Tescan, Mager Scientific, SPI, ibss Group
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 09:53:40 am by John Donovan »

Juvegre

• Student
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2019, 11:32:24 pm »
Deadline is still to come but time flies. Book your Seat with Us!

NEW: facebook page for our workshop  @epmaathens2019

Electron probe microanalysis: Recent developments and applications in Earth science
We are pleased to announce a two-day workshop on the use of the electron probe microanalyzer (EPMA) with particular emphasis on modern developments and geological applications. The workshop will be held in Athens (Greece) at the Agricultural University of Athens on 3-4 October 2019. The instructors will be Ioannis Baziotis, Jasper Berndt, Pierre Lanari, Ery Hughes and Angeliki Papoutsa. The workshop will consist of a series of lectures on the theory and practice of the EPMA instrument followed by focused seminar on its application to solid Earth sciences. Topics will range from conventional major element quantitative analysis to new developments in X-ray mapping, trace element analysis, Fe redox state determination, and estimate of water content in hydrous glasses. All attendees will be asked to provide a brief oral presentation on their research and analytical goals during the workshop. Participation comes with a follow-up opportunity for access to the instrument (see details below).

Free Access to the EPMA facility
All selected applicants will have the opportunity to analyze their rocks (polished thin/thick sections or 1-inch circular mounts) in the 12 months following the workshop.  Participation comes free of charge with up to 2 analytical days (8 hours per day of operator-supervised work and 16 hours per day of overnight automated data collection). Further analytical time can be requested as needed, but will be charged at the hourly rate for outside users.

Target Group
The workshop targets MSc students, PhD students, postdoctoral researchers and early career scientists from across the EU and beyond.

Registration
Participants are kindly requested to register for the workshop by sending an e-mail to Ioannis Baziotis (ibaziotis@aua.gr) or via the website (https://ibaziotis7.wixsite.com/epmaathens2019). The registration fee is 500 euros and includes the attendance at the workshop and two days free access to the EPMA facility. The participants will need to cover the costs of getting to and from Athens as well as their accommodation and local costs. One dinner at the Athens City Center is included. The workshop is open to up to 30 participants. Agenda may be scaled back or cancelled in case of small enrollment (<10 participants).

Workshop in brief
Title: “Recent Developments and Applications in earth sciences of electron probe micro-analysis”

Instructors: Ioannis Baziotis (Agricultural University of Athens), Jasper Berndt (University of Muenster), Pierre Lanari (University of Bern), Ery Hughes (University of Bristol), and Angeliki Papoutsa (Agricultural University of Athens)

Dates: Thursday 3rd – Friday 4th October, 2019 (provisionally 9AM - 7PM)
Venue: Agricultural University of Athens, Iera Odos 75, 11855, Athens, Greece
Room: Laboratory of Mineralogy and Geology

Key dates
Application: 30th June 2019 (Initial application)
Approval of workshop: mid-July 2019 (then participants will be notified to register)
Registration deadline: 31st July, 2019 (late registration is not possible)
Deadline for confirmation: Mid-August, 2019 (exact date TBA)
Payment deadline: end-August 2019

Workshop Programme
We will cover most or all of the following topics during the workshop:

1st day (Theory – principles of EPMA)
9:00-9:30: Welcome
9:30-11:00: Background, strengths and limitations of electron probe microanalysis
11:00-11:30: Break
11:30-13:30: Quantitative analysis-X-ray Maps-Use of standards
13:30-14:30: Lunch time
14:30-17:00: Statistics
17:00:17:30: Break
17:30-19:00: Visit to the other facilities of AUA (single crystal XRD – ICP-OES)
20:30: Dinner at Athens City Center

2nd day (practicals-applications)
9:00-10:00: Visit to the sample preparation, and EPMA facilities
10:00-11:00: Application of EPMA in the study of phosphorus incorporation in silicate minerals: challenges and perspectives
11:00-11:30: Break
11:30-13:30: EPMA as a useful tool in quantitative metamorphic petrology (XMap tools)
13:30-14:30: Lunch time
14:30-17:00: EPMA in quantitative magmatic petrology (Ferric/ferrous iron – H2O estimation on silicate glasses)
17:00-17:30: Break
17:30:19:00: Oral presentations from attendees
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:30:53 pm by John Donovan »

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2019, 08:07:08 am »
This is a plug for the webinar version of a lunch talk that I attended at M&M last year and found very useful:

"Choosing the Right Coating Material for EM Sample Preparation" hosted by Rave Scientific on July 16, 2019:

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Webinar-.html?soid=1117453911373&aid=tJCVmEJ8H4g
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Owen Neill

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2020, 08:57:02 am »
Dear colleagues,

The submission portal is open for M&M 2020 and we would like to draw your attention to Symposium A11: Standards, Reference Materials, and their Applications in Quantitative Microanalysis, sponsored by the MAS/MSA Focused Interest Group on Microanalytical Standards. Submit your 2-page paper as soon as possible at https://www.microscopy.org/MandM/2020/. The deadline for abstract submission is Friday, February 21.

We welcome contributions covering the entire range of electron probe microscopy and microanalysis of natural and synthetic materials, such as:
• The use of standards and reference materials in quantitative microanalysis, and the needs of the analytical community for improving such materials.
• Synthesis, evaluation, distribution, and maintenance of standards and reference materials.
• Development of new protocols for microanalytical techniques.
• Applications of standard-based techniques to solving microanalytical problems.

Feel free to share this information with other potentially interested colleagues; apologies for any cross-postings. We are very much looking forward to seeing you in Milwaukee!

Best Regards,

The organizers of Symposium A11:
Anette von der Handt, University of Minnesota
Will Nachlas, University of Wisconsin
Owen Neill, University of Michigan
Julien Allaz, ETH-Zurich

Full Symposium Description: Standards and reference materials are essential for obtaining accurate quantitative compositional data from X-ray microanalysis by EPMA or SEM (WDS/EDS), as well as from other microanalytical techniques (LA-ICP-MS, SIMS, µ-XRF, FTIR, Raman spectroscopy, etc.). These materials must be rigorously evaluated for their reference compositions and homogeneity, must be widely available to the analytical community, and must be properly maintained to avoid contamination or deterioration. We welcome contributions on the synthesis, evaluation, distribution, and maintenance of standards and reference materials, as well as their appropriate use in microanalysis. We further encourage submissions on standard-based applications of quantitative microanalysis, or on the development of new quantitative microanalytical protocols.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:37:21 am by Owen Neill »

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2020, 02:04:04 pm »
Zhou (Johnny) Zhang is hosting a number of geology talks on "data mining". The next talk below starts at 7 PM Pacific Coast time in the US (remember the date in China is one day ahead!).

Chao Zhang (Northwest University, Xi'an, China) will give a talk.

Title: Calculating mineral formula from electron microprobe analysis data using a machine learning method based on principal components regression

Zoom Room ID:687 0392 9656

Time: July 26, Sun 10 am (Beijing time) 

Attached below are some reprints and the speaker schedule (login to see attachments).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:08:54 am by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2020, 11:52:46 am »
So there are a ton of on-line presentations for the virtual M&M meeting:

https://www.microscopy.org/MandM/2020/program/PlatformPresentations.pdf

Is anyone interested in sharing a short list of sessions specifically related to EPMA?

jrminter

• Professor
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2020, 07:58:28 am »
They really have them stacked up with lots of overlapping sessions. That is typical. I wanted a quick guide to the microanalysis sessions so I made a text file with times, names, and titles. I plan to enter notes as I watch... In case this will help others, I am attaching my list. IMHO it is way past time for the society to record these (with author approval) and put them on YouTube after the conference is over.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:00:32 am by jrminter »

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2020, 11:08:09 am »
They really have them stacked up with lots of overlapping sessions. That is typical. I wanted a quick guide to the microanalysis sessions so I made a text file with times, names, and titles. I plan to enter notes as I watch... In case this will help others, I am attaching my list. IMHO it is way past time for the society to record these (with author approval) and put them on YouTube after the conference is over.

Hi John,
Thank-you so much for this.

And yes I agree, these talks should be recorded (with presenter permission) and available for subsequent viewing.
john

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2020, 10:24:01 am »
The first microanalysis talk starts at 11:30 AM PDT this morning with a talk by Will Nachlas.

https://www.microscopy.org/MandM/2020/

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2020, 11:35:43 am »
The first microanalysis talk starts at 11:30 AM PDT this morning with a talk by Will Nachlas.

I could be wrong but apparently these talks are pre-recorded and could be watched at any time within the next month.  So I'm now assuming the discussion is live with the presenter responding?

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2020, 11:49:31 am »

I could be wrong but apparently these talks are pre-recorded and could be watched at any time within the next month.  So I'm now assuming the discussion is live with the presenter responding?

I think I'll watch these later as the web server seems to be rrrreeeeeallll slow.

jrminter

• Professor
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2020, 11:57:17 am »

I think I'll watch these later as the web server seems to be rrrreeeeeallll slow.

I'm very dissappointed. I had everything set and then get nothing but spinning bars...

JonF

• Professor
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2020, 12:11:15 pm »
Can't say I've been overly impressed with the live digital platform either. But taking this year online has meant a significant price drop that has made it possible for me to "attend" in the first place, so I shouldn't complain!

The pre-recorded talks I've watched have been ok, but the plenary talks were terrible: just stuttering video and audio that meant it was impossible to follow.