Author Topic: CalcImage map management  (Read 10193 times)

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
CalcImage map management
« on: October 31, 2013, 02:42:28 AM »
Hi John,

* In CalcImage the windows tile horizontally works. The tile vertically not. I have a big screen, 24" with a resolution of 1920x1080. The windows are always overlapping.

* I would find a zoom 100 % button in CalcImage useful. Anyone else?

Cheers
Philipp

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:39:56 AM by John Donovan »

Gareth D Hatton

• Professor
Re: CalcImage map management
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:24:58 AM »
I have two Dell P2412H monitors running at 1920x1080 and have not seen any problems with tiling either horizontally or vertically in CalcImage.  How many windows do you have open at a time?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:35:34 PM by John Donovan »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 11:06:46 PM »
Hi Philippe,
Gareth is correct. The tile vertical and tile horizontal do work but not always as one might expect depending on the number of window and the aspect ratios.  But be sure you have the latest CalcImage (PFE) update because I have tweaked this recently.

For example, here is a vertical tile on a large number of images:

and here are the same images but horizontally tiled:

So there is a difference but it depends on the number of images and their aspect ratios.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:45:30 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
I think it is also worth pointing out a couple of other "features" in CalcImage related to the display of x-ray maps. For example, although this is mainly a tip for Cameca users, you've all probably noticed that the default installation of Probe for EPMA and CalcImage assumes a JEOL stage orientation. This is simply because most EPMA instruments "out there" are JEOL instruments!

For Cameca users (such as Philipp and I), that means when we install PFE for off-line data and image re-processing we will be loading Cameca oriented images into an "assumed" JEOL stage orientation. What will this look like?  Well, our Cameca micron stage units will be converted to mm   and *also* the images will be flipped into the JEOL "anti-Cartesian" coordinate system for self consistency as seen here:

This after using the File | Close Off-Peak Images menu to close all but the on-peak images. After the Window | Tile Horizontal menu is clicked we see the same JEOL mm stage units:

So what's a poor Cameca user to do for off-line re-processing x-ray maps? Well, you'll need to copy all your Cameca config files over from your on-line instrument computer to the off-line re-processing computer as described in this post:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=76.msg280#msg280

Actually for the purposes of this post, a Cameca user really only need to copy over the following files, but it doesn't hurt to make a back up of the other files:

Probewin.ini
motors.dat
scalers.dat
crystals.dat
standard.mdb

Once your Cameca config files are copied over from your on-line probe computer (connected to the instrument) to your off-line computer (for data re-processing), you now see the same CalcImage files displayed properly in Cameca stage orientation coordinates and orientation, again, after closing the off-peak images using the File | Close Off-Peak Images menu, as seen here:

Tiling horizontally, the same images appear like this:

Final note: the same concepts also apply to PictureSnap window which is now accessible in CalcImage from the Run menu. That is, the displayed image orientation and stage coordinate values are converted to reflect the proper Cartesian (Cameca) or "anti-cartesian" (JEOL) systems based on the current configuration of the software.

Here is a Cameca acquired classification image displayed in CalcImage with a JEOL (default PFE) configuration:

The direction of the arrow shows the increasing X and Y max. Note also the JEOL mm units for the stage coordinates. Now note the same image (exported automatically) and opened in the PictureSnap window with the same JEOL (default PFE)  configuration:

And here is the same image again, but open with a Cameca configuration in the CalcImage PictureSnap window:

Note once again (image colors are slightly different because a different kmeans precision was used to extract the phases), the coordinate orientation is now Cartesian (X and Y max to upper right as shown by the arrow) and the stage units are in um.

The point being that CalcImage automatically handles the image orientation and stage units properly at all times, though Cameca users may want to update their off-line data re-processing computers with their on-line instrument computer configuration files.

JEOL users can use the default ProbeForEPMA.msi installer for off-line re-processing without any changes to the software configuration, though for any quantitative work one must copy over the standard composition database, standard.mdb, to the off-line computer's Probe for EPMA folder.

And maybe it would not be a bad idea to also copy the other of your instrument computer config files just for backup purposes!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:09:20 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »
And finally, for your enjoyment, here are some of the same data displayed showing the "hyper-cursor" feature which correlates x-ray intensities, quantitative weight percent, atomic percent, and phase mask extraction for one's phases.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:23:07 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 04:26:46 AM »
Ok, for me it does not work:

tile horizontally:

tile vertically:

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »
Hi Philipp,
Ok, I see.

First I would have you check that you have the latest CalcImage, but it looks like the reason you are having a problem is that in addition to the x-ray maps you are also loading a high resolution BSE video image (2048 pixels wide?). Is that correct?

If so, my tiling method might not work correctly unless you have a larger monitor.  Try again but make your CalcImage window maximized and also try without the BSE image.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 02:29:29 AM »
Hi John,

this is with a maximized window and 3 800x800 pixel x-ray maps...

Cheers
Ph

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »
Hi Philipp,
OK. And if you make the window less tall, you'll get this when you tile vertically, right?

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »
Hi John,

I get something like this:

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 09:53:17 AM »
OK, so now make the window just a wee bit taller...
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 09:56:54 AM »
Then they start to overlap...

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 10:00:10 AM »
Not if you make them only a "wee bit" taller!   ;D
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 11:19:43 AM »
True enough...

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 02:19:24 PM »
Hi Philipp,
I re-worked the image aspect ratio re-size code and it works much better now. Please try it on your maps.

Here is the horizontal tile with 3 maps:

and here it is vertically tiled:

Note that Microsoft gets to decide whether these get re-tiled or not, so this is somewhat OS dependent.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400