Author Topic: White wavescans on white background in Plot!  (Read 2859 times)

Heather Lowers

• Professor
White wavescans on white background in Plot!
« on: April 12, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »
Has anyone else noticed this? When one has more than 14 wavescans overlaid onto the same plot window, every 15th wavescan color defaults to white on the white background of the plot window. If someone isn't super vigilant the whole time it's easy to overlook the missing plotted wavescan and potentially cause problems when setting background positions for example. This can be especially problematic when doing an REE run with many other elements in the mix too. I know I can go in and manually change the color for every 15th wavescan; however, that can get time consuming when going through 30+ elements. Is there anyway to change how the colors default so that white is never automatically assigned?

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: White wavescans on white background in Plot!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:00:47 AM »
Has anyone else noticed this? When one has more than 14 wavescans overlaid onto the same plot window, every 15th wavescan color defaults to white on the white background of the plot window. If someone isn't super vigilant the whole time it's easy to overlook the missing plotted wavescan and potentially cause problems when setting background positions for example. This can be especially problematic when doing an REE run with many other elements in the mix too. I know I can go in and manually change the color for every 15th wavescan; however, that can get time consuming when going through 30+ elements. Is there anyway to change how the colors default so that white is never automatically assigned?

Hi Heather,
Almost everything is possible, but I would have to manually code it because the 15th color in the Pro Essentials library is white by default.

In the meantime please check the Show Grid Lines checkbox in the wavescan plot window and the background will no longer be white.
john
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:47:18 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Heather Lowers

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »
Hi John,

So we tried the Show Grid Lines check box and it really didn't solve the problem. The background is no longer white, as you said, it's now alternating very light blue and white rectangles. Unfortunately, the contrast between the light blue rectangles and the white of the lines and symbols is almost imperceptible. It seems like our only solution at the moment is for each element plotted we double click on the graph, choose the "Style" tab in the pop up box, select the offending wavescan and change the color. However, this selection doesn't stick from element to element and has to be repeated every time. It's not the end of the world! I was just checking to see if there was something I was missing or a default I could change to make white not be a defined color.

Thanks!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:06:14 PM »
So we tried the Show Grid Lines check box and it really didn't solve the problem. The background is no longer white, as you said, it's now alternating very light blue and white rectangles. Unfortunately, the contrast between the light blue rectangles and the white of the lines and symbols is almost imperceptible. It seems like our only solution at the moment is for each element plotted we double click on the graph, choose the "Style" tab in the pop up box, select the offending wavescan and change the color. However, this selection doesn't stick from element to element and has to be repeated every time. It's not the end of the world! I was just checking to see if there was something I was missing or a default I could change to make white not be a defined color.

Hi Heather,
I'll probably have to add code to change the default colors, but I'll ask their tech support if they have a palette without white.  An easier solution might be to change the background color using the right click customize menu.

I'm just swamped with getting ready for EMAS, so it will have to wait until later in May unless I find some time before then.

Sorry!
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »

OK, I fixed the 15th plot white color issue (for both wavescans and unk/stds) in the latest version of PFE as seen here:

Note that the above wavescan plot data were generated using the new WDS simulation in PFE!
john
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:57:24 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Karsten Goemann

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »
Many thanks John, works great now - no more white wavescans on white background!