Author Topic: Survey regarding carbon coaters  (Read 4356 times)

Dan MacDonald

• Professor
Survey regarding carbon coaters
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:57:49 AM »
Good morning, everyone:

I have a small survey question regarding the cleaning of bell jars of carbon coaters.  I have an old Denton DV502A coater with a large bell jar, and have had a few users discuss the merits of leaving residual carbon on the inside of the bell jar so that the residual coat acts like an optical shield against the brightness of the carbon rod.  On the other side of the street,  the residual coat can form flakes which may randomly drop off into the diffusion pump, which isn't good.  My question is, how many people clean their bell jars after every coating?  Thanks for your answers.

Best regards

Dan MacDonald
Probe Tech at Dalhousie University

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
Re: Survey regarding carbon coaters
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
I don't clean the coater's (JEOL JEE520) bell jar after every coating but when it gets a visible tinge from the carbon coating (at least once a month). We use color changes on brass plugs to determine coating thickness, so I need to maintain clear line of sight (indeed, the carbon flakes are a concern too). For UV exposure concerns and brightness, I have variable welding masks (ebay) for the users and do the coating in "bursts" where we check the color in between.

Cleaning the bell jar takes me only a few minutes as I apply a protection spray (Sprayon Dry Film Release Agent MR311) on the inside of the bell jar. There used to be a product called Bell bright that seems to be not available anymore that had a similar purpose. I originally bought that stuff for my epoxy plug molds and one day, after I ran out of Bell bright and scrubbed the bell jar forever, I gave it a try. Works like a charm (much better than the Bell bright) and I have seen no impact on the vacuum or other side effects (but maybe I am missing something awful). I don't think I will use it for my ultra clean iridium coater though but the carbon coater is dirty enough anyway (if there are concerns about hydrocarbon contamination).

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:45:40 PM by Anette von der Handt »
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »
We're still using Bell Bright on the inside of our bell jars, so glad to hear from Anette that there's a replacement for that product.

On our modified Edwards carbon coater (306A), I generally attempt to catch the reflection of the arc in a polished brass disk as the samples and the brass disk rotate. Using that reflection I can generally detect the color changes even when the bell jar is pretty dark. But still about once every three to six months or so we need to clean the bell jar to avoid "flakes".

Some things I keep in mind when coating: I watch the backing pump pressure on the diffusion pump and when that starts to creep up I reduce the current to the electrodes until it recovers (usually in 30-60 sec).  I also find that the carbon electrodes need to generate some small sparks (1 to 3 cm long) to get a good conductive coating.  If the current is kept very low, I find that the resulting carbon coat is actually quite non-conductive.  This may be unique to this Edwards coater. We also try to get the color on a polished brass disk just as it changes from red to blue, so a violet/purple color is what we shoot for. This gives a very reproducible 20 nm coating thickness, though 10 or 15 nm is probably enough thickness for conductivity, the coating reproducibility of a red-blue transition on brass is more important I think.
john
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:06:43 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

glennpoirier

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »
Hi all,
Another solution to cleaning bell jars if Final-net hairspray. Its water soluble so as soon as the cleaning water hits it it flakes off completely. You just have to make sure its dry before you put it back in the vacuum otherwise the first pumpdown can take a long time. My mom used to use this stuff and I noticed it smelled exactly like bell bright. Its a lot cheaper but I can no longer find aerosol, I'll have to test the pump version and see if it works.

I let the carbon accumulate on the bell jar until I start to have flaking problems.  I coat by time, I've tried the brass, but I've never had much luck (might be due to my colour blindness).  I've also had Johns experience with non conductive carbon coats, but usually if I let the rod get too hot.

Glenn