Author Topic: stage map issue  (Read 3425 times)

jeolunlv12

• Post Doc
stage map issue
« on: October 27, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »
Has anyone seen this kind of problem before?

Our JEOL jxa8900 BEI high-speed preamp had a problem and only one diode is working. JEOL engineer changed the high-speed preamp with our old (original) preamp (which doesn't work for quack scan).

After changed to this original preamp, the stage-map gives weird zoning pattern for metal standard, see attached BEI-Stage image.

The BEI beam map for the same area works fine (see beam image).

I tried different dwell-time for the stage scan, the zoning pattern is consistent for all of them.

Has anyone seen this before? What causes this? Is this related to the BEI preamp?

Minghua (UNLV)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: stage map issue
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »
I don't have a JEOL, but on the Cameca you can get artifacts like this if you have the BSE detector set to "Differential" mode as opposed to "Ground" mode.

The differential mode is great for tooling around the sample as it auto-adjusts for varying BSE ranges, but for mapping it can introduce streaks and other artifacts in the BSE image.
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

jeolunlv12

• Post Doc
Re: stage map issue
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 05:50:48 PM »
The stage map issue was cause by the set-up of scan mode.

I might not put the scan mode to SPOT when I was setting up the PI program, so the PI memorized the column condition during the map set-up, even I changed to spot mode before the mapping started, the PI used the B_UP mode when the mapping started.

When I used the SPOT mode during map set-up, stage map works fine.

I will try to not check that "Use current instrument setting" box and see.

Minghua