Author Topic: Wish List for PFE Features  (Read 233673 times)

BenjaminWade

• Professor
Re: Wish List for PFE Features
« Reply #465 on: August 16, 2020, 08:03:43 PM »
Hi John and Mike
That is absolutely fantastic and exactly what I was after. Many thanks again

cheers

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #466 on: September 23, 2020, 05:23:24 PM »
Hello,

is it possible to add the multi-point background positions to the analysis setup report output?

Also, I wonder if we could report which standards were used for the MAN calibrations. Currently, it lists all standards in the run and which ones were used for the peak calibrations but it would be nice to also get the ones that were used for the MAN curves  either as part of the text output or as another spreadsheet (as their standard database numbers probably).

Thanks!
Anette
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #467 on: September 24, 2020, 02:02:07 PM »
Hello,

is it possible to add the multi-point background positions to the analysis setup report output?

Also, I wonder if we could report which standards were used for the MAN calibrations. Currently, it lists all standards in the run and which ones were used for the peak calibrations but it would be nice to also get the ones that were used for the MAN curves  either as part of the text output or as another spreadsheet (as their standard database numbers Thanks!
Anette

OK, we added some code for output of MAN (mean atomic number) background fit assignments and MPB (multi-point background) parameters. Here is the output to Excel for MAN assignments:

Add here is the output to Excel for the MPB parameters:

Let us know if you need it formatted differently. Update PFE from the Help menu as usual...
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #468 on: September 24, 2020, 09:16:40 PM »
We decided to modify the MPB fit type output to show the "Linear", "Polynomial" and "Exponential" strings instead of just the integer index as shown here:

Again, update from the Help menu to obtain this latest version.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #469 on: November 23, 2020, 07:09:40 AM »
Hi John,

We often use the wavescan function to identify the peak position for S on vg2, with ca. 1000ppm,

Would it be difficult to have a peak fitting function - to read the peak position within the plot window?

Thanks

Ben

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #470 on: November 23, 2020, 09:39:34 AM »
Hi Ben,
Well, you can either uncheck the "Relative Position" checkbox in the Plot! window and use the mouse cursor to display in spectrometer units, as shown here:

Or you can use one of the peak fitting methods in the Model Backgrounds dialog as seen here:

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #471 on: November 24, 2020, 04:05:53 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks, you learn something new everyday.

So it fits a function to the whole wavescan range is that right?

So Parabolic and Gaussian only work if wavescan range is restricted to the width of the peak, whereas Brent Maxima always works, as its using a parabolic interpolation to find the maxima -

Thanks

Ben
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:28:27 AM by Ben Buse »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #472 on: November 24, 2020, 07:40:04 AM »

So Parabolic and Gaussian only work if wavescan range is restricted to the width of the peak, whereas Brent Maxima always works, as its using a parabolic interpolation to find the maxima -

Hi Ben,
Yes I noticed that also.

We will try to modify the fitting code to only utilize the current "zoom" range.  Give us a few days.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #473 on: November 25, 2020, 08:53:53 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,
OK, we modified the code to utilize the x-axis "zoomed" range if the plot is "zoomed", and if not, just use the full wavescan range (as before), for the centroid fitting:

This version is v. 12.9.0 and just update as usual from the Help menu in PFE to get it.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #474 on: November 25, 2020, 10:02:28 AM »
Hi,

when doing PHA Bias scans through the peaking dialog, the pop-up monitor window X-axis starts at "0" during the acquisition. Could that be adjusted to start at the individual Bias scan range? Thanks!

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #475 on: November 25, 2020, 11:22:38 AM »
Hi Anette,
I'm not seeing it in my JEOL simulation mode. Can you please send me a screenshot by email?
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #476 on: November 27, 2020, 09:32:13 AM »
When doing PHA Bias scans through the peaking dialog, the pop-up monitor window X-axis starts at "0" during the acquisition. Could that be adjusted to start at the individual Bias scan range? Thanks!

Hi Anette,
OK, we were able to reproduce the issue.

Basically the displayed x-axis range depends on the value of the configuration keyword DisplayFullScanRangeForAcquisitionFlag  in the Probewin.ini file.  If it is set to zero (the default), the x-axis range is automatically updated as the data is acquired and displayed. In this case the bias scan x-axis range (in bias volts), displayes fine. But if the DisplayFullScanRangeForAcquisitionFlag keyword is set to non-zero, the full x-axis range is displayed from the beginning, and the plot is "filled in" as the bias scan is acquired.  This is true also for PHA scans and gain scans (Cameca instruments only).

But for PHA scans, the minimum x-axis data value is often a fraction of a volt, so we have always forced it to zero for the tick marks to display nicely. This didn't affect the bias and gain scans when DisplayFullScanRangeForAcquisitionFlag=0, but it was forcing the x-axis minimum to zero for bias and gain scans as you pointed out, but only when DisplayFullScanRangeForAcquisitionFlag=1 in the Probewin.ini file!

So previously the following code was utilized for all scans:

Call ScanInitGraph(sample(1).MotorNumbers%(chan%), nPoints%(chan%), CSng(0#), stopvolts!(chan%), title$)
If ierror Then Exit Sub

But this is now changed to:

If mode% = 0 Then
Call ScanInitGraph(sample(1).MotorNumbers%(chan%), nPoints%(chan%), CSng(0#), stopvolts!(chan%), title$)
If ierror Then Exit Sub
Else
Call ScanInitGraph(sample(1).MotorNumbers%(chan%), nPoints%(chan%), startvolts!(chan%), stopvolts!(chan%), title$)
If ierror Then Exit Sub
End If

In other words, the x-axis range is now the bias (or gain) scan ranges specified by the user. Basically to make a long story short, it now works as requested!

Simply update Probe for EPMA from the Help menu and you should be good to go.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:43:31 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #477 on: December 03, 2020, 07:54:52 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,
OK, we modified the code to utilize the x-axis "zoomed" range if the plot is "zoomed", and if not, just use the full wavescan range (as before), for the centroid fitting:

This version is v. 12.9.0 and just update as usual from the Help menu in PFE to get it.

Thanks John,
This is great
I've included an example below - I zoomed in, applied gaussian fit, then zoomed out

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #478 on: April 09, 2021, 02:30:14 PM »
I am not sure if I requested this before and there was a practical problem in implementing it or I never voiced it before.

I wish that I could keep a spectrometer stationary during wavescan acquisition. Essentially, that there is a check box in the peak/scan options dialog that would have the spectrometer move to the peak position and then just acquire the intensities in the time interval steps without moving the spectrometer itself. I then just use the line number as X-axis to visualize any change in the plot window.

Idea behind it would be that while I run a wavescan on 4 spectrometers I could monitor carbon contamination or Na loss on the 5th spectrometer. What do you think?

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #479 on: April 09, 2021, 04:09:39 PM »
There's a StripChart.exe app in the TestProbe.msi installer.

Maybe that will work for you?
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400