Author Topic: Wish List for PFE Features  (Read 234001 times)

Ben Buse

• Professor
Re: Wish List for PFE Features
« Reply #420 on: August 14, 2019, 02:37:46 AM »
Hi John,

Any chance you could remove the popup window 'bad negative zz' and just log the error message. The problem is it opens the window consecutively many times.

When processing the data, do you do anything different with bad negative zz values. Once I've clicked the message box 20-30x the data often seems ok.

Thanks

Ben

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #421 on: August 14, 2019, 08:14:04 AM »
Hi John,

Any chance you could remove the popup window 'bad negative zz' and just log the error message. The problem is it opens the window consecutively many times.

When processing the data, do you do anything different with bad negative zz values. Once I've clicked the message box 20-30x the data often seems ok.

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,
I don't do anything with the negative ZZ value, but the matrix correction physics calculations cannot proceed (usually). 

Can you send me the MDB file which contains the problem data points?
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #422 on: August 14, 2019, 08:36:25 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for explaining.

I'll email you.

Ben

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #423 on: August 20, 2019, 03:13:14 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,
I modified the matrix correction error messages to just log the error to the log window when it encounters negative values for certain mathematical operations.  You can update to Probe for EPMA v. 12.7.1 whenever you are ready.

Let me know if this works better for you.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #424 on: September 17, 2019, 06:13:23 AM »
Hi, when switching through many of the PfE windows using the TAB key the order in which the fields are selected seems totally random. Is it possible to bring this in order to press TAB and really move to the next field?

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #425 on: September 17, 2019, 08:07:39 AM »
Hi Philipp,
It is possible, and you may find some windows are better organized than others.  To be honest, it has not been a priority.  Which windows specifically are you looking at?

Also, we've tended to only allow tabbing for the text input controls. How do you feel about that?
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #426 on: September 17, 2019, 09:17:03 AM »
Hi John,

it's various windows... For example in the elements/cations, when I edit an element, or when I use the "edit mac table".
I can see that it is not a priority... There is more important stuff to do. But maybe, when changing some window, the tab order could be checked.

I use TAB and ENTER quite a lot... I am not a big fan of clicking around with the mouse. So I use TAB also to move from "cancel" to "ok" and hit enter.

Nice would be also some keyboard shortcuts... In calczaf you can open the X-ray menu using alt-x, but then there are no furhter keys defined for the submenu.

Cheers
Philipp

glennpoirier

• Professor
« Reply #427 on: September 17, 2019, 09:39:52 AM »
Hi John and Philipp,
I especially agree with Philipp's request for some shortcut keys! One I'd really appreciate would be the Single Points menu on the Digitize positions window.
I'd then be able to assign that key combination to a USB foot pedal and store points without taking my eyes off the JEOL SEM screens. It's all about productivity! ;)

Cheers

Glenn

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #428 on: September 17, 2019, 10:12:22 AM »
Hi John and Philipp,
I especially agree with Philipp's request for some shortcut keys! One I'd really appreciate would be the Single Points menu on the Digitize positions window.
I'd then be able to assign that key combination to a USB foot pedal and store points without taking my eyes off the JEOL SEM screens. It's all about productivity! ;)

Cheers

Glenn

Hi Glenn,
I could add an <alt> S key shortcut for the Single Points button. 
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

glennpoirier

• Professor
« Reply #429 on: September 17, 2019, 10:51:45 AM »
That would be perfect!
Thanks
Glenn

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #430 on: September 17, 2019, 11:53:55 AM »
That would be perfect!
Thanks
Glenn

Or maybe I'll make the Single Points button an <alt> P and the Shotgun button an <alt> S?
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

glennpoirier

• Professor
« Reply #431 on: September 17, 2019, 01:48:39 PM »
Even better!

BenjaminWade

• Professor
« Reply #432 on: September 17, 2019, 05:43:24 PM »
Hi John
My wish would be to have the list of standards in the MAN fit window sorted by standard number. I am not too sure what is governing the order they appear at the moment, it doesnt appear to be mean Z.

Cheers

Karsten Goemann

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
« Reply #433 on: September 17, 2019, 07:03:55 PM »
I second the suggestions for keyboard shortcuts and tab key sequencing. Like Philipp working with the keyboard is much quicker for me than constantly having to put one hand back on the mouse and point that to the next field.

One of my favourite candidates to have the tab key progress through the fields in order (left->right, top->bottom) would be the Element/Cation Properties window, especially the WDS Spectrometer Parameters section.

Cheers, Karsten

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #434 on: September 17, 2019, 10:01:16 PM »
I second the suggestions for keyboard shortcuts and tab key sequencing. Like Philipp working with the keyboard is much quicker for me than constantly having to put one hand back on the mouse and point that to the next field.

One of my favourite candidates to have the tab key progress through the fields in order (left->right, top->bottom) would be the Element/Cation Properties window, especially the WDS Spectrometer Parameters section.

Cheers, Karsten

We'll start working on that. Also we'll take a look at the MAN standards list order as Ben Wade mentions.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400