Author Topic: Wish List for PFE Features  (Read 233943 times)

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Wish List for PFE Features
« Reply #555 on: March 17, 2022, 08:41:41 AM »
I am sorry but unfortunately I see different picture. Could you look at addition file (PictureSnap image vs image in Analog Signal Image Data window)

1.  If you load PictureSnap from the Automate window it displays the digitized points from the Automate window (whether they have been acquired or not).  These will have the digitized sample number and digitized point number displayed (starting with 1 for each digitized sample).

2.  If you load PictureSnap from the Run menu, then it will display points already acquired in the run. These labels are using the acquired sample number and the (consecutive) line number from the run.

3.  The Display Analog Signal Image dialog only displays points already acquired in the run. These labels are using the acquired sample number and the (consecutive) line number from the run.

#2 and #3 will display acquired point labels the same way.

If you are asking to have the beam size displayed for acquired points in the PictureSnap window, that is not available because the point labels in PictureSnap needs to be consistent for both digitized points and acquired points, but digitized points do not yet have a beam size defined.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 08:57:41 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

DavidAdams

• Professor
« Reply #556 on: March 17, 2022, 11:49:12 AM »
It would be really helpful to have PfE automatically find the PHA distribution scan and bias voltage scan peak centres similar to how PfE automatically centres the peak for spectrometer scans  :D
David Adams
The University of Auckland
Faculty of Science | School of Environment

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #557 on: March 17, 2022, 12:26:11 PM »
Probe for EPMA supports the Adjust PHA feature (see PHA window) for Cameca instruments, but JEOL does not support this method.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

DavidAdams

• Professor
« Reply #558 on: March 17, 2022, 01:01:48 PM »
Probe for EPMA supports the Adjust PHA feature (see PHA window) for Cameca instruments, but JEOL does not support this method.

That may be true of older JEOL instruments but the newer (windows software based) instruments automatically choose and set the PHA peak centres when performing bias voltage scans using the JEOL PC-EPMA software.

Even if PfE cannot set the peaks for PHA scans it would still be nice if it could mathematically calculate the peak for testing and purposes (e.g. checking the change in PHA as a function of barometric pressure)
David Adams

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #559 on: March 17, 2022, 01:34:49 PM »
I did not know that. I have no information regarding this and it does not appear to be supported in the new JEOL MEC interface. Note the Adjust PHA button in the PFE PHA dialog which is disabled for JEOL instruments.

Also for working externally with PHA data you can easily export the data from PFE and do whatever you want.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

DavidAdams

• Professor
« Reply #560 on: March 17, 2022, 02:30:58 PM »
I did not know that. I have no information regarding this and it does not appear to be supported in the new JEOL MEC interface.

I can take a video of a PHA scan using the JEOL software if you would like to see it in action
David Adams

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #561 on: March 17, 2022, 03:40:05 PM »
I did not know that. I have no information regarding this and it does not appear to be supported in the new JEOL MEC interface.

I can take a video of a PHA scan using the JEOL software if you would like to see it in action

No need. If JEOL Japan can provide an API call, I will implement it.

In the meantime just use the JEOL button and then read the PHA settings from PFE using the Get PHA button...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 04:43:00 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Rom

• Professor
« Reply #562 on: March 17, 2022, 05:10:25 PM »
I am sorry but unfortunately I see different picture. Could you look at addition file (PictureSnap image vs image in Analog Signal Image Data window)

1.  If you load PictureSnap from the Automate window it displays the digitized points from the Automate window (whether they have been acquired or not).  These will have the digitized sample number and digitized point number displayed (starting with 1 for each digitized sample).

2.  If you load PictureSnap from the Run menu, then it will display points already acquired in the run. These labels are using the acquired sample number and the (consecutive) line number from the run.

3.  The Display Analog Signal Image dialog only displays points already acquired in the run. These labels are using the acquired sample number and the (consecutive) line number from the run.

#2 and #3 will display acquired point labels the same way.

If you are asking to have the beam size displayed for acquired points in the PictureSnap window, that is not available because the point labels in PictureSnap needs to be consistent for both digitized points and acquired points, but digitized points do not yet have a beam size defined.

Now it is clear, thank you.
Is it hard for you to add to the Display Analog Signal Image dialog the possibility of using point labels in format #Unknown session- #Point in this Unknown? During the session we can use many different conditions. Therefore if we would use continuous numeration of the points it will make identification of the targeted points difficult. For instance, we can measure phases with different probe diameter at the same image, and the numeration will be (1-1. 1-2. 1-3 etc. (for 0PD), then 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc. (for 20PD)).

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #563 on: September 02, 2022, 10:06:03 AM »
Hi John,

Do you think it would be possible to have the option to assign fiducial sets to images? Especially I am thinking of having the option to transform image locations (so the information in the ACQ files) using either sample fiducials or constant stage shifts.

The JEOL probes (at least mine) like to have their electronics restarted usually in the most inopportune moments. I loose all the stage positions by powering the stage motors down and on again (no linear encoders). I can use your awesome (!) stage positions import/export option to get everything back in place but have no such ability for the images. Often I just reacquire them.

Related to it, it would generally be quite awesome to be able to import existing images into a new mdb. I think the "load image" option in the digitize image window does not look for existing ACQ files but only wants to import based on the current magnification/stage position. Could it be modified to look for acq files and if present have a popup asking if you want to import based on the acq file or based on current instrument conditions?
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #564 on: September 02, 2022, 02:54:00 PM »
Hi John,

Do you think it would be possible to have the option to assign fiducial sets to images? Especially I am thinking of having the option to transform image locations (so the information in the ACQ files) using either sample fiducials or constant stage shifts.

The JEOL probes (at least mine) like to have their electronics restarted usually in the most inopportune moments. I loose all the stage positions by powering the stage motors down and on again (no linear encoders). I can use your awesome (!) stage positions import/export option to get everything back in place but have no such ability for the images. Often I just reacquire them.

Related to it, it would generally be quite awesome to be able to import existing images into a new mdb. I think the "load image" option in the digitize image window does not look for existing ACQ files but only wants to import based on the current magnification/stage position. Could it be modified to look for acq files and if present have a popup asking if you want to import based on the acq file or based on current instrument conditions?

The regular images in Probe for EPMA only utilize a 2 point calibrations, recently written up in a tutorial by Karsten here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=592.msg11195#msg11195

But the calibrated images in the PictureSnap window can utilize 2 or 3 calibration (or fiducial) points and can therefore also handle sample rotation:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=14.msg7283#msg7283

And of course there's always the PictureSnapApp software in which one can embed any number of calibrated images in a (two or three) fiducial referenced image as shown here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=1082.msg7245#msg7245

Does any of that help?
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #565 on: September 02, 2022, 02:58:43 PM »
Hi John,

I am aware of all these options and they are great. However, the problem I am trying to solve is when I am sitting on 10+ images that I have to re-reference one-by-one after I had to cycle the power on the instrument. They would all have to have a consistent shift to be applied so I was looking for a batch transformation option similar to what I can do with unknown positions in this case.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #566 on: September 02, 2022, 03:45:39 PM »
Hi John,

I am aware of all these options and they are great. However, the problem I am trying to solve is when I am sitting on 10+ images that I have to re-reference one-by-one after I had to cycle the power on the instrument. They would all have to have a consistent shift to be applied so I was looking for a batch transformation option similar to what I can do with unknown positions in this case.

Ah, OK, I think I see now.  You want to be able to apply an XY shift correction to the already acquired images. 

Let me think about that.  What exactly are you doing to "re-reference" them now?
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #567 on: September 02, 2022, 05:50:23 PM »
If I am lucky, I know exactly the position of one of the digitized spots and then just calculate the shift between where it should be and where it is now. I then export the digitized positions to a POS file and then re-import then. PFE allows me to define a X-Y increment factor (THANK YOU!) and that usually shifts them all back. Then I just use the confirm dialog to fix the Z-values. Relatively painless all things considered.

Having something similar where I can re-import images and increment the stage reference point1 and point2 could be really powerful.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #568 on: September 02, 2022, 06:12:12 PM »
If I am lucky, I know exactly the position of one of the digitized spots and then just calculate the shift between where it should be and where it is now. I then export the digitized positions to a POS file and then re-import then. PFE allows me to define a X-Y increment factor (THANK YOU!) and that usually shifts them all back. Then I just use the confirm dialog to fix the Z-values. Relatively painless all things considered.

Having something similar where I can re-import images and increment the stage reference point1 and point2 could be really powerful.

But shouldn't both image reference points utilize the same XY shift?  I can imagine some sort of select a pixel on the image and enter the new XY-coordinates of that point?  Then it's simple to update the image coordinates.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

dawncruth

• Professor
« Reply #569 on: December 07, 2022, 10:17:33 AM »
Hi John,
Not a feature for PfE itself, but for the forum. Is it possible to have an error database and possible things to check? For example, a user got an error for a zero current and potentially blown filament. We have a FEG-EPMA, so clearly it isn't the filament. I think there was a power issue, but if there was a place to check how others fixed the error, that would be super helpful.