Author Topic: Wish List for PFE Features  (Read 233940 times)

AndrewLocock

• Professor
    • University of Alberta Electron Microprobe Laboratory
Re: Wish List for PFE Features
« Reply #540 on: January 13, 2022, 11:52:49 AM »
Yes.
I have been spoiled by the utility of the Report function, and the considerable detail in the output of quantitative analyses.

Thanks!
Andrew

dawncruth

• Professor
« Reply #541 on: January 14, 2022, 02:30:41 PM »
I was trying to be a good lab manager and set my PHAs. I *thought* I could save them to a .mdb file. Turns out, no, I cannot save them. Now I have to re-run them  :P

Anyway, is there a feature that allows us to save those non-analytical datasets? Maybe there is and I just don't know where to find it?

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #542 on: January 14, 2022, 02:44:52 PM »
I was trying to be a good lab manager and set my PHAs. I *thought* I could save them to a .mdb file. Turns out, no, I cannot save them. Now I have to re-run them  :P

Anyway, is there a feature that allows us to save those non-analytical datasets? Maybe there is and I just don't know where to find it?

Ummm, yes you can. You just have to have a sample in the run with some elements in it (one for each spectrometer if you want to save PHA settings for all spectrometers).

You can also save individual element setups to the element setup database.

Maybe describe in more detail what you are trying to do?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:08:37 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #543 on: January 15, 2022, 12:11:48 PM »
Hello,
I guess that I am asking that these parameters be exported to a file for later reference (so that I don't have to copy and paste them all individually).
When a wavescan is 500 or 1000 lines long, these parameters flash by pretty quickly  ;)

Perhaps the Output | Save Wavescan Output options could be modified to export these parameters for each wavescan?

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew,
OK, it took a bit longer than we thought but we think we have something that will work for you.  We couldn't modify the std/unk report output because it was too specific to quantification, but instead we added a right click menu item to the Analyze! window as shown here:

The basic output goes to the log window as usual and also to a .TXT file, and the table goes to a .DAT file and optionally an Excel spreadsheet as seen here:

One other thing we did was to modify the report filename to include the sample name so now for the wavescan report (and also the std/unk reports) the file name is specified as:

<probe run>_<sample name>_Report.<ext>

Though it can still be edited by the user. This is nice when one selects multiple samples to output reports on and so now the filenames all are unique.

This wavescan report format is yours for now, so let us know if there's anything else you'd like to see added. We don't know what your intended purpose is with these report outputs.

Update as usual from the Help menu to update Probe for EPMA v. 13.0.7.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 02:36:10 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Brian Joy

• Professor
« Reply #544 on: January 17, 2022, 01:51:54 PM »

I feel the need to point out that it is not possible to analyze for Pb and As in the same mineral using Pb Lα and As Kα, as both X-ray lines have essentially the same wavelength.  If there is a chance that detectable As and Pb could both be present, then one must use As Lα and Pb Mα.  Unfortunately, when Pb is present in low concentration in sulfides, S Kα, S Kβ, and satellites of each interfere severely with measurement of Pb Mα as well as X-ray lines of a variety of other (minor) elements of potential interest:

Brian Joy
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
JEOL JXA-8230

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #545 on: January 17, 2022, 02:46:11 PM »
I feel the need to point out that it is not possible to analyze for Pb and As in the same mineral using Pb Lα and As Kα, as both X-ray lines have essentially the same wavelength. 

You might be right, I have not looked at this situation recently.  It may depend on the relative ratios of the intensities.

I do recall trying this interference pair in the past, though I have not looked into it in many years (decades!).  It took about 50 iterations if I remember correctly on data from my ARL SEMQ with a 127 mm Rowland circle. I should give this a try again on my SX100 (160 mm) when I get a chance again and see if it works better on a higher resolution instrument.  Maybe you should try the Probe for EPMA spectral interference correction on your JEOL 140 mm spectrometers. Should be better spectral resolution than the ARL SEMQ spectrometers...

OK, I dug through my ancient files and found this:

Not an ideal results, but considering everything...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 03:14:19 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Brian Joy

• Professor
« Reply #546 on: January 17, 2022, 03:02:54 PM »
I feel the need to point out that it is not possible to analyze for Pb and As in the same mineral using Pb Lα and As Kα, as both X-ray lines have essentially the same wavelength. 

You might be right, I have not looked at this situation recently.  It may depend on the relative ratios of the intensities.

I do recall trying this interference pair in the past, though I have not looked into it in many years (decades!).  It took about 50 iterations if I remember correctly on data from my ARL SEMQ with a 127 mm Rowland circle. I should give this a try again on my SX100 (160 mm) when I get a chance again and see if it works on a lower resolution instrument.  Maybe you should try the Probe for EPMA spectral interference correction also since your JEOL spectrometers are 140 mm Rowland.  Anyone have a 100mm JEOL spectrometer?

OK, I dug through my ancient files and found this:

Not an ideal results, but considering everything...

Considering everything, it makes more sense to use As Lα and Pb Mα (especially in this case, with no interferences at Pb Mα).  There is no way to distinguish between As Kα and Pb Lα even with R = 160 mm; the respective sine(θ) values are 0.29203 and 0.29181.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 03:04:37 PM by Brian Joy »
Brian Joy
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
JEOL JXA-8230

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #547 on: January 17, 2022, 03:12:16 PM »
Considering everything, it makes more sense to use As Lα and Pb Mα (especially in this case, with no interferences at Pb Mα). 

Again, you may be right for normal work.  But hey, I like a good algorithm challenge!   ;D

There is no way to distinguish between As Kα and Pb Lα even with R = 160 mm; the respective sine(θ) values are 0.29203 and 0.29181.

You say there is "no way", yet even a low spectral resolution 127mm instrument was able to iterate fairly well.  I'm going to collect some data on this and see.  Maybe we'll learn something...
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Rom

• Professor
« Reply #548 on: March 16, 2022, 07:04:55 PM »
Hi, could you explain some thing I want to do in "Analog Signal Image Data" window:

1. How I can range Analog signal images in this window by image names, not for image numbers which have been given according image collecting time.
Sometimes it is important.
2. How I can plot sample position labels with using current point number in my Unknown, not in all session. For instance, I would like to see a label like this: #un - #pos where #un - number of Unknown , #pos - number of position in this Unknown.
It is possible in PictureSnap window and I hope in this window as well.
3. How I can change plot scale bar. For instance, I would like to see 50 mkm scale bar on all my images independent of picture resolution.

Thank you

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #549 on: March 16, 2022, 07:16:29 PM »
Hi, could you explain some thing I want to do in "Analog Signal Image Data" window:

1. How I can range Analog signal images in this window by image names, not for image numbers which have been given according image collecting time. Sometimes it is important.

When you say "range" I assume you mean "sort"?  The images are only displayed in the acquisition order.  Of course one can export them from the Output menu and then they can be sorted anyway you prefer.

2. How I can plot sample position labels with using current point number in my Unknown, not in all session. For instance, I would like to see a label like this: #un - #pos where #un - number of Unknown , #pos - number of position in this Unknown.
It is possible in PictureSnap window and I hope in this window as well.

Simple uncheck the "Plot Short Labels" checkbox.

3. How I can change plot scale bar. For instance, I would like to see 50 mkm scale bar on all my images independent of picture resolution.

This is not possible.  But once the images are exported, you can add any scale bars you prefer.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Rom

• Professor
« Reply #550 on: March 16, 2022, 08:31:23 PM »
1. yes, the range means sorting - ok
2. in this case, I will have the label format #Unknown - #point in the entire session (not #point in this Unknown)
3. What is the best application for receiving exported images? For example, Probelab Reimager is not a stable application and has some drawbacks.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #551 on: March 16, 2022, 08:56:33 PM »
2. in this case, I will have the label format #Unknown - #point in the entire session (not #point in this Unknown)

Yes, PictureSnap will display the unknown number and the line number in the run.  But you will need to use the Run | Display... menu options to display the unk and line numbers if you want to plot already acquired points.

3. What is the best application for receiving exported images? For example, Probelab Reimager is not a stable application and has some drawbacks.

You should report ReImager problems to Mia Kraft.

What imaging app to use if hard to say. It depends on what you want to do. I like Paint.net but there are so many imaging programs to choose from. There is also NIH Image which I hear can handle image calibrations but I have not used it myself.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Rom

• Professor
« Reply #552 on: March 16, 2022, 09:47:57 PM »
Yes, PictureSnap will display the unknown number and the line number in the run.  But you will need to use the Run | Display... menu options to display the unk and line numbers if you want to plot already acquired points.
-I know it, thank you but I want to have the same result in "Analog signal images" window because I see here different sizes of "beam" - it is great!

You should report ReImager problems to Mia Kraft.
-We reported several times in a half of year. But the answer is silence ((.

What imaging app to use if hard to say. It depends on what you want to do. I like Paint.net but there are so many imaging programs to choose from. There is also NIH Image which I hear can handle image calibrations but I have not used it myself.
-Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 09:54:43 PM by John Donovan »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #553 on: March 16, 2022, 09:57:25 PM »
-I know it, thank you but I want to have the same result in "Analog signal images" window because I see here different sizes of "beam" - it is great!

Yes, the Display Analog Signal Images dialog behaves the same as PictureSnap. Just uncheck the Plot Short Labels checkbox.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Rom

• Professor
« Reply #554 on: March 16, 2022, 11:12:41 PM »
I am sorry but unfortunately I see different picture. Could you look at addition file (PictureSnap image vs image in Analog Signal Image Data window)