Author Topic: Wish List for PFE Features  (Read 233891 times)

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Wish List for PFE Features
« Reply #570 on: December 07, 2022, 04:40:59 PM »
Hi John,
Not a feature for PfE itself, but for the forum. Is it possible to have an error database and possible things to check? For example, a user got an error for a zero current and potentially blown filament. We have a FEG-EPMA, so clearly it isn't the filament. I think there was a power issue, but if there was a place to check how others fixed the error, that would be super helpful.

Yes it would be helpful, but would take an enormous amount of effort to try and document all the error trapping in PFE. I suggest you type some keywords in the Search window in the forum and see if something pops up. Or write a few of our consultants. They're always happy to help as am I.   :)

There's also this topic:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=1288.0

As for the zero faraday cup current that could be caused by a "sticky" faraday cup, which I think someone mentioned happened to them.  There's also this topic:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=1260.msg8823#msg8823

to set the delay time for waiting after inserting the faraday cup.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 05:45:46 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Scott B.

• Global Moderator
  • Post Doc
« Reply #571 on: January 06, 2023, 10:16:38 AM »
Greetings,

Wondering if there’s a flag or option somewhere to have PFE always default to acquiring TDI data when creating a new PFE file and/or new sample setup?

I've been burned a couple of times when making a "from scratch" setup, and forgetting to toggle on TDI acquisition in the Special Options dialogue, then running a bunch of analyses without TDI data being collected.

Seems to me, the “conservative” approach would be to have a new PFE MDB or sample setup default to collect the TDI data, as you can always turn it off if not needed, but you can’t “turn it on” if you never collected the TDI in the first place.

AndrewLocock

• Professor
    • University of Alberta Electron Microprobe Laboratory
« Reply #572 on: January 06, 2023, 10:52:01 AM »
On a tangentially related note:

Would it be possible, when using the Mean Atomic Number Approach, to default that both(!) the unknowns and the standards are set to MAN automatically?
At present in my version of PFE, I have to toggle MAN on for each standard individually....

Thanks,
Andrew

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #573 on: January 06, 2023, 11:44:12 AM »
On a tangentially related note:

Would it be possible, when using the Mean Atomic Number Approach, to default that both(!) the unknowns and the standards are set to MAN automatically?
At present in my version of PFE, I have to toggle MAN on for each standard individually....

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
You can click one button to do this from the Acquisition Options dialog as described here:

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

AndrewLocock

• Professor
    • University of Alberta Electron Microprobe Laboratory
« Reply #574 on: January 06, 2023, 11:55:30 AM »
Fantastic, thanks!

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #575 on: January 07, 2023, 10:17:57 AM »
Fantastic, thanks!

This Change All To MAN button was actually a feature request by Ben Buse at Bristol a while back.  We decided to add Change All To Off-Peak and Change All To MPB buttons at the same time.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #576 on: January 07, 2023, 10:21:57 AM »
Here is a PHA plot of the Sr La peak (in SrTiO3) showing the new plot title which displays the current bias and gain settings utilized in the scan.

Probeman kept complaining to us that we should do this, so the latest version of Probe for EPMA now includes this information in the plot (not just in the "Conditions" text box).   :D

Similar also for bias and gain scans, see here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=1475.msg11527#msg11527
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #577 on: January 09, 2023, 08:58:39 AM »
Greetings,

Wondering if there’s a flag or option somewhere to have PFE always default to acquiring TDI data when creating a new PFE file and/or new sample setup?

I've been burned a couple of times when making a "from scratch" setup, and forgetting to toggle on TDI acquisition in the Special Options dialogue, then running a bunch of analyses without TDI data being collected.

Seems to me, the “conservative” approach would be to have a new PFE MDB or sample setup default to collect the TDI data, as you can always turn it off if not needed, but you can’t “turn it on” if you never collected the TDI in the first place.

The latest version of Probe for EPMA now adds three new keywords to the probewin.ini file [software] section as shown here:

VolatileSelfCalibrationAcquisitionFlag=0
AcquireVolatileSelfStandardIntensitiesFlag=0
VolatileCountIntervals=5

These should be self explanatory, but the latest User Reference Manual explains them in more detail.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #578 on: January 27, 2023, 02:04:42 PM »
Hi John,

Would it be possible to add a batch export option for the OEM EDS spectra? It is an option in the "Display and Export EDS Spectra Dialog" but I can only export them one-by-one there.

Thanks!
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #579 on: January 27, 2023, 04:07:48 PM »
Would it be possible to add a batch export option for the OEM EDS spectra? It is an option in the "Display and Export EDS Spectra Dialog" but I can only export them one-by-one there.

Everything is possible but some things are easier than others!     :)

This shouldn't be too difficult to do.  Give us a few days.

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #580 on: January 29, 2023, 11:22:13 AM »

Everything is possible but some things are easier than others!     :)

This shouldn't be too difficult to do.  Give us a few days.

Well that was easier than I thought!

I only had to invent a time machine, go back to 2015 and add a Save All EDS Spectra To EMSA menu to the Output menu as shown here:

:D
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #581 on: January 30, 2023, 10:42:57 AM »
 ;D I know and it is great to have that option but when I import the PFE-generated EMSA file into ESPRIT I get an error message ("Problems found in spectrum import. No FWHM calibration"). I will send you example files from both Bruker Esprit and the PFE files and more details by email. There are subtle differences and Bruker probably changed something?

The OEM spectrum file generated by PFE in the "Display and Export EDS spectra" works like a charm but does not support batch export.

I seem to remember that the EMSA import works for Thermo. So I am not sure what it easier to implement. Messing with the EMSA output or adding the OEM version batch output. Let me know what you think.
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #582 on: January 30, 2023, 11:51:44 AM »
;D I know and it is great to have that option but when I import the PFE-generated EMSA file into ESPRIT I get an error message ("Problems found in spectrum import. No FWHM calibration"). I will send you example files from both Bruker Esprit and the PFE files and more details by email. There are subtle differences and Bruker probably changed something?

The OEM spectrum file generated by PFE in the "Display and Export EDS spectra" works like a charm but does not support batch export.

I seem to remember that the EMSA import works for Thermo. So I am not sure what it easier to implement. Messing with the EMSA output or adding the OEM version batch output. Let me know what you think.

Sorry I didn't note that you said OEM format.  I can do that and it won't require a time machine!    :)

But please do send me a Bruker EMSA file so I can look at what they want for EMSA.   I think they are the only ones that require FWHM meta data because they fit the spectra for deconvolution.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #583 on: February 02, 2023, 09:59:16 AM »

Your wish is granted!    :)

We added an export all EDS spectra to OEM format button to the Run | Display and Export EDS Spectra menu dialog as seen here:

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

dawncruth

• Professor
« Reply #584 on: February 24, 2023, 01:02:02 PM »
Is it possible to include the beam 2 values in the Analyze window? Right now, you can only see them in the working window. See attached files for reference.