Author Topic: PHA - integral vs differential mode  (Read 3389 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
PHA - integral vs differential mode
« on: February 24, 2016, 10:24:29 PM »
Ken Severin posted this to the Cameca and JEOL listservers, but I thought it's also worth posting here in case someone missed it:

I was explaining to a class about setting up gas detectors and the difference between differential and integral modes.  The question came up as to why one would ever operate in intergral mode.  I didn't have a good answer (obviously setting up really tight parameters in differential mode can cause problems) - why not use differential mode with wide windows instead of integral mode?

Is this a holdover from earlier electronics?

My response was simply that running differential with a wide window is generally how I set my PHAs up, because frankly, I can't remember a case in which I needed to run in integral mode without a window setting...

Possibly for a very low energy line with a funky detector where the PHA peak is extra wide?
john
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:27:36 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
Re: PHA - integral vs differential mode
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 11:57:52 PM »
Yes, that is what we do here as well, we usually use differential mode with a 4 V window. Unless we really try to filter something, where we place the peak in a small window.
Good question, I would be interested in an answer too.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: PHA - integral vs differential mode
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:15:59 AM »
Yes, that is what we do here as well, we usually use differential mode with a 4 V window. Unless we really try to filter something, where we place the peak in a small window.
Good question, I would be interested in an answer too.

I've found that using a tight PHA window in an attempt to avoid a high order interference, usually produces more problems than it solves, due to gain shifting between standards and unknowns- unless the intensities are very similar of course.

It's better in my opinion to simply let "all" the photons in and use the quantitative interference correction in PFE to deal with them properly.
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!