Author Topic: PFE & network account  (Read 2672 times)

Ben Buse

• Professor
PFE & network account
« on: December 07, 2015, 06:57:31 AM »
Hi,

An observation I just noticed. Our offline computer it connected to the university network and different people log on with their university of bristol network accounts.

As such each time PFE opens it says "Please wait while Windows configures Probe Software..." which is fine.

Then each time for the network accounts it asks you to register PFE - you know add in user & institution again fine - but as part of this it also replaces the standard.mdb file with John's 2012 original - logging "C:\ProgramData\Probe Software\probe for EPMA\STANDARD.MDB was automatically updated for new database fields".

Now there are ways around this

(1) only use a local account on the computer for PFE.

(2) does it matter if the actual standard.mdb is overwritten - for you can just use the temporary standard files which are created to process data.

(3) change standard.mdb to read-only now the software complains but seems to work fine

Ben

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: PFE & network account
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:10:11 AM »
An observation I just noticed. Our offline computer it connected to the university network and different people log on with their university of bristol network accounts.

As such each time PFE opens it says "Please wait while Windows configures Probe Software..." which is fine.

Then each time for the network accounts it asks you to register PFE - you know add in user & institution again fine - but as part of this it also replaces the standard.mdb file with John's 2012 original - logging "C:\ProgramData\Probe Software\probe for EPMA\STANDARD.MDB was automatically updated for new database fields".

Now there are ways around this

(1) only use a local account on the computer for PFE.

(2) does it matter if the actual standard.mdb is overwritten - for you can just use the temporary standard files which are created to process data.

(3) change standard.mdb to read-only now the software complains but seems to work fine

Hi Ben,
I've never tried to do this.  I guess I really don't understand the point.

For data reprocessing, one can install Probe for EPMA on every computer on campus, if you like!   There are no license restrictions. Probe Software and Thermo are the only EPMA software I know of that do not charge for extra copies for data reprocessing.

You should take advantage of this fact!
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"