Author Topic: Important information about Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 13284 times)

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
Important information about Windows 10 upgrade
« on: July 23, 2015, 09:06:14 AM »
Dear all,

my service engineer just made me aware of a potential issue of the upcoming Windows 10 upgrade for JEOL machines running on a PC. Maybe you were already notified by JEOL about this (I wasn't but my machine runs from a HP workstation) but I thought I share it with the community.

On July 29, the new Windows 10 will be rolled out and be available as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems. In most cases you will have disabled automatic Windows upgrades anyway but in case it is not, JEOL urges you to not install it.

Jerry, my engineer, shared the attached document with me with more details.

Best,

Anette
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Important information about Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »
On July 29, the new Windows 10 will be rolled out and be available as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems. In most cases you will have disabled automatic Windows upgrades anyway but in case it is not, JEOL urges you to not install it.

Hi Anette,
On a related note: I don't know of anyone that has tried PFE on Windows 10, but if someone does, please do so on a non-critical computer only used for off-line processing of PFE- and do please let us know how it goes with Probe for EPMA, at least is reprocessing mode.

I also do not know about Bruker/Thermo compatibility at this time.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 04:32:47 AM »
Hi,

I've just managed update my laptop to windows 10 and I've tried PFE in offline. Seems to be working fine - no errors. Can quantify data, view peak scans, plot wavescans, view acquired BSE/SE images.

Ben

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 06:59:35 AM »
Hi,

I've just managed update my laptop to windows 10 and I've tried PFE in offline. Seems to be working fine - no errors. Can quantify data, view peak scans, plot wavescans, view acquired BSE/SE images.

Ben

Wow!   You are very brave lad, Ben!

But thank-you for the report!   I guess Visual Basic still has some life in those old bones...

Just FYI, we're hoping to begin the conversion to .net this fall. I'm sure that will not be so easy.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

smatveev

• Post Doc
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 06:15:31 AM »
Dear John and All,
I have tested CalcZAF performance under Windows 10 and glad to confirm that the program works well. One small adjustment could be required. In order to avoid scrambled fonts I had to "disable display scaling on high DPI settings". To do it locate CalcZAF.exe (in my case C:\Probe Software\Probe for EPMA), right click on file and activate Properties, go to Compatibility tab and check "Disable display scaling..." option. I also use Windows 7 Compatibility, but this might not be necessary for proper operation.
Cheers,
Sergei

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 07:59:09 AM »
Dear John and All,
I have tested CalcZAF performance under Windows 10 and glad to confirm that the program works well. One small adjustment could be required. In order to avoid scrambled fonts I had to "disable display scaling on high DPI settings". To do it locate CalcZAF.exe (in my case C:\Probe Software\Probe for EPMA), right click on file and activate Properties, go to Compatibility tab and check "Disable display scaling..." option. I also use Windows 7 Compatibility, but this might not be necessary for proper operation.
Cheers,
Sergei

Hi Sergei,
Excellent, thank-you!

Do the graphics seem to work ok also?  For example in the Analytical | Perform Secondary Fluorescence Calculations menu?
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

smatveev

• Post Doc
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 01:33:02 AM »
Hi John,
graphics and calculations (as far as I can judge) all work fine. All what is required for proper graphical representation is "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in program Properties.
I have used PENEPMA boundary calculations using one of the standard examples Co Ka in Cu for adjucent  to C and the simulation and graphs worked just fine.
Sergei

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »
Hi John,
graphics and calculations (as far as I can judge) all work fine. All what is required for proper graphical representation is "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in program Properties.
I have used PENEPMA boundary calculations using one of the standard examples Co Ka in Cu for adjucent  to C and the simulation and graphs worked just fine.
Sergei

Hi Sergei,
That is a relief though we may ask you (or Ben) to try again in a few days as I will soon be incorporating Gareth Seward's new graphics calls in Standard soon and I don't have Windows 10 yet.

Just out of curiosity, can you post a screen capture of what the graph looks like when the "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" checkbox is *not* checked in Windows 10?
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

smatveev

• Post Doc
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 05:07:21 AM »
John, I believe calculations are working fine. OS does not treat properly fonts inside buttons and options. I attach a couple of images in the next two posts (for some reason cannot attach more than 1 file at a time.
Sergei

smatveev

• Post Doc
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 05:09:28 AM »
In some cases font error can cause real navigational problems (see attached).

smatveev

• Post Doc
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 05:10:18 AM »
or here

smatveev

• Post Doc
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 05:11:56 AM »
Option to check in order to fix font rendering by the system is attached.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 08:51:21 AM »
Option to check in order to fix font rendering by the system is attached.

Hi Sergei,
So the plot graphics are not affected at all, only the controls (buttons, checkboxes, etc) font sizes are affected in Windows 10?

And the checkbox you cite above fixes the controls font size issues?
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 08:53:37 AM »
I attach a couple of images in the next two posts (for some reason cannot attach more than 1 file at a time.
Sergei

You just need to click the "more attachments" link under the Browse button.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

smatveev

• Post Doc
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 07:31:21 AM »
John, thank you, I overlooked the more attachments button.
Yes "disable display scaling" fixed the problem with font representation, no other options were required.
Cheers,
Sergei
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:56:10 AM by John Donovan »