Author Topic: Important information about Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 13278 times)

glennpoirier

• Professor
Re: Important information about Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2020, 10:32:40 AM »
Hi All,
I'm using some of the lab's downtime to try and update the PFE computer to Windows 10.
I'm using a fresh install of Win10 Enterprise and PFE. I'm copying the config files over from the Windows 7 install.  I can run PFE in offline mode but when I try to connect to the probe I run into a problem. I get an error message saying that amb_jeol8x00 is not found. (see attachment). In the windows 7 install this file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Probe Software\Probe for EPMA. I have a copy in the same folder in the WIN 10 install. Has anyone seen this or have any idea what the problem is? As far as I can tell the permissions are the same for both files.
Thanks in advance

Glenn

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2020, 10:42:12 AM »
Hi Glenn,
Normally PFE looks for this file in the Windows\SysWOW64 folder. Assuming you have a 64 bit OS. For a 32 bit OS, use the Windows\System folder.

This driver file shouldn't be in the application path at all, since each app (PFE, PI, Thermo, Bruker), all need to access it for instrument communication.  Putting this driver in each app folder means you'll have multiple instances of the driver in memory all trying to talk to the instrument, slowing things down.

I'll send you a document to your email.
john

PS You did install the EIKS stuff also?  The JEOL EIKS DLLs *do* need to go in each app folder, because it is not multi-threaded like our driver.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:19:41 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Probe321

• Professor
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2020, 10:03:56 AM »
I agree with JEOL on installing windows 10. I have found the JEOL software version 1.13 on the standalone workstation runs fine on Windows 10 (64 bit). NETL is on maximum telework so I am not at the probe to get the actual version number. I am waiting for JEOL to build the new windows 10 computer upgrade for the 8530F plus as some of the windows 7 board(s) would not work with windows 10.  We are behind on updates as version 1.16 would not run on the Windows 7 64bit system and proceeded to erase some of the software. Not sure what caused this, but JEOL had to replace the SSD to get the backup to recover.

PFE I find to be more stable on Windows 10 than Windows 7, less ELKS errors.

Keith
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 11:19:15 AM by John Donovan »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2020, 09:27:59 PM »
Is anyone running Probe for EPMA on Windows 10 Enterprise Edition?

It should run just fine as it does under Win 10 Professional, but just curious if anyone is using Windows 10 Enterprise Edition...
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"