Author Topic: Issues in PfEPMA v.10.8.7  (Read 2743 times)

waylward

• Student
Issues in PfEPMA v.10.8.7
« on: June 03, 2015, 06:19:01 AM »
Hi.  We installed PfEPMA in our lab last week and here are a few bugs or glitches that we have noticed.  Has anyone else noticed these and are there any fixes available?  I will attach screen shots to demonstrate each of the points mentioned below.

1.  Text is truncated in some places and is illegible. 
2.  The "Display PHA, Peaking and Scan" window disappears at the bottom of my monitor so we cannot see what is at the bottom of the window.  Furthermore, we cannot raise the window or shrink it in any way to allow us to see the bottom of the window. 
3.  PfEPMA displays Beam 1, Beam 2, Absorbed 1 and Absorbed 2 but we believe that it is not labelling these currents properly.  One would think Beam 1 and Beam 2 refers to the current read at the Faraday cup before and after analysis, and ABSD 1 and 2 refers to the absorbed current before and after analysis.  However, it actually appears to be that Beam 1 and ABSD 1 refer to the beam current with Faraday cup, and Beam 2 and ABSD 2 refer to the before and after absorbed current.
4.  Error message pops up when using TDI when an element with a multipoint background is used, though it appears that TDI is in fact applied.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:07:41 AM by John Donovan »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Issues in PfEPMA v.10.8.7
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:01:49 AM »
1.  Text is truncated in some places and is illegible. 

Hi Wanda,
I wouldn't call these bugs, they are more Windows desktop preferences set by the user. For some reason someone has set the desktop font size on your OS to a large size.  Just right click the desktop, click Personalize | Display and then select the Smaller (100%) default option.

2.  The "Display PHA, Peaking and Scan" window disappears at the bottom of my monitor so we cannot see what is at the bottom of the window.  Furthermore, we cannot raise the window or shrink it in any way to allow us to see the bottom of the window. 

Same reason as above.  Simply increase your screen resolution or make your desktop font smaller.  Or get a bigger monitor!  I use two 24" monitors to make the desktop as large as possible.

3.  PfEPMA displays Beam 1, Beam 2, Absorbed 1 and Absorbed 2 but we believe that it is not labelling these currents properly.  One would think Beam 1 and Beam 2 refers to the current read at the Faraday cup before and after analysis, and ABSD 1 and 2 refers to the absorbed current before and after analysis.  However, it actually appears to be that Beam 1 and ABSD 1 refer to the beam current with Faraday cup, and Beam 2 and ABSD 2 refer to the before and after absorbed current.

It's labeled properly, but you need to increase the faraday cup in(sert) delay. For unknown reasons JEOL keeps making the beam current read slower with every new model instrument. For the 8230/8530 you might need  as much as 2.5 seconds delay for the beam current reading to stabilize after the cup is inserted. See here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=80.0

4.  Error message pops up when using TDI when an element with a multipoint background is used, though it appears that TDI is in fact applied.

Ok, this is interesting.  It might be an obsolete warning message.

Is the TDI data actually acquired as seen in the Standard Assignments dialog or the Run | Display Time Dependent Intensities dialog for this channel?
john

Edit by John: OK I checked and can concur with you, this is an obsolete warning. It has been removed and the update will be available for download by Monday or sooner. Frankly I thought at one time I would not be able to combine the TDI and MPB features but I did!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:07:56 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"