Author Topic: ProbeImage error when starting acquisition  (Read 6505 times)

BenjaminWade

• Professor
ProbeImage error when starting acquisition
« on: May 18, 2015, 01:09:53 AM »
Hi John and all
I am hoping you can tell me what I am doing wrong. When I start a series of maps going in ProbeImage, I get the attached series of errors (in the log file) with a windows app crash (in the second text file), causing the software to close. I was using an out of date ProbeImage, so I updated both Matrix and ProbeImage, but still get the same fatal errors. I haven't used ProbeImage for at least 5 months and it was working when I used it last, so not too sure what has changed since then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: ProbeImage error when starting acquisition
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:14:38 AM »
Hi John and all
I am hoping you can tell me what I am doing wrong. When I start a series of maps going in ProbeImage, I get the attached series of errors (in the log file) with a windows app crash (in the second text file), causing the software to close. I was using an out of date ProbeImage, so I updated both Matrix and ProbeImage, but still get the same fatal errors. I haven't used ProbeImage for at least 5 months and it was working when I used it last, so not too sure what has changed since then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Ben,
I think it is because you specified too many acquisition windows.  This is a limitation in PI that we are fixing in the next release- hopefully ready any day now.

Try reducing the number of acquisition samples first and try again.

I see you have a slightly out of date version even though you updated.  Can you tell me where you got the msi file from?
john
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:30:45 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

BenjaminWade

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
Argh. Yes thanks John that was it. I cut it down and it is now running fine. I will just run them in a couple of batches.
With regards to the MSI file I downloaded it from the Software Updates page last night?

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 07:10:37 PM »
Argh. Yes thanks John that was it. I cut it down and it is now running fine. I will just run them in a couple of batches.
With regards to the MSI file I downloaded it from the Software Updates page last night?

The next version of Probe Image (any day now) will fix this limitation.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:29:08 PM »
Hi John
The other very handy thang for PI would be that the maps from each acquisition run are automatically saved at the end of each run. One could specify the save to folder as part of the set up. That way, only windows for active data acquisition could be opened, closed and fresh ones opened for the next run.
Cheers,
Malc.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 09:02:08 PM »
Hi John
The other very handy thang for PI would be that the maps from each acquisition run are automatically saved at the end of each run. One could specify the save to folder as part of the set up. That way, only windows for active data acquisition could be opened, closed and fresh ones opened for the next run.
Cheers,
Malc.

Yes.  This will be in the next Probe Image version. Any day now...
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Gareth D Hatton

• Professor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 12:26:29 AM »
The current limit on the number of maps possible is around 90.  At this it is very difficult to save them as the screen effectively freezes and you have to guess where the buttons are.  80 is the safest I have found.

Good news from John that this fix is in the pipeline and soon to be released into the wild.  I for one am certainly looking forward to it.  I think it could cause a mini-revolution here.   8)

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
Re: ProbeImage error when starting acquisition (v. 1.1.7 8x30 only)
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »
If you updated to v. 1.1.7.1934 of PI (or later) and you have trouble connecting to the instrument, simply put, it is because your JEOL driver file needs to get updated.  This does *not* affect Cameca or JEOL 8900, 8200 or 8500 instruments.

The details are messy to explain, but we had to break the 8230/8530 plugin in the previous driver for a very good reason- sorry about that chief!

Please contact Probe Software for the latest JEOL driver.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:28:07 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400