Author Topic: Separating Fe into FeO & Fe2O3  (Read 15910 times)

jeb

• Graduate
Separating Fe into FeO & Fe2O3
« on: August 22, 2013, 02:46:33 PM »
What is the best/most accepted way to separate Fe into it's different oxidation states?  Is there a formula that doesn't involve a lot of hand waving?  I have a customer who wants to do this for his garnet analyses.

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
Re: Separating Fe into FeO & Fe2O3
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »
Here is a paper which has a complete recalculation of garnet formula from EPMA data:

A. Locock, Computers & Geosciences, 2008, v 34, p 1734-1780: "An Excel spreadsheet to recast analyses of garnet into end-member components, and a synopsis of the crystal chemistry of natural silicate garnets."

If you can't locate a copy, let me know and I'll send you the pdf (with link to the excel spreadsheet).

John F
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:35:10 PM by John Donovan »

jeb

• Graduate
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »
Great, this looks like it should help.  I found it no problem and forwarded it on, thanks!

jeb

• Graduate
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:12:23 AM »
For anyone else looking for this:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0098300408001064

PDF is also posted here, but the Excel file is too large to post.

Jeremy Wykes

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »
If you would like something rigorous I suggest:

Dollase W. A. and Newman W. I. (1984) Statistically most probable stoichiometric formulae. American Mineralogist 69, 553
Australian Synchrotron - XAS

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:30:25 PM »
Another method for FeO/Fe2O3 determination is the so called "flank method" (see attached below), but it is rather complicated and depends on a suitable set of calibration standards. 

I have not tried it myself but I'd be interested to hear if others have tried it and on what materials.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Frank Spear

• Student
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 09:17:20 AM »
There is also a section in my Phase Equilibria book (pages 101-103) on simultaneous cation and charge normalizations (the basis for this method). And I have a paper (Spear & Kimball 1984 Computers in Geoscience) on amphibole recalculation schemes (I think John Schumacher also has a publication on this).

But be wary - errors propagate very substantially using the stoichiometric method because the result (Fe2+/Fe3+) incorporates the errors in the measurement of all other cations. If one element is systematically off a bit this can lead to rather erroneous Fe2+/Fe3+ values.

I have also tried to measure Fe2+/Fe3+ in sodic amphiboles using a modification of the flank method described above with limited success. I don't think it is worth the effort at this point. We simply need a better way to make the measurement directly.

Les Moore

• Professor
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 03:21:19 PM »
What ever happened about the postulated Fe2+/Fe3+ state being determined by the ratio of the L lines?

I know there was an issue with self fluorescence but has it ever been positively dismissed as an analytical technique?

XANES can do it nicely but who has a synchrotron at hand.

You can get a good standard by oxidising a pure iron standard.  Mostly FeO then Fe3O4 then a thin layer of Fe2O3.  Trouble is, the FeO varies from one side to the other of the wustite phase.  If there is Mn in the steel, you get a fascinating pile up rejection in the wustite at the magnetite boundary as it flees the higher oxidation states.

Jeremy Wykes

• Professor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 02:04:40 AM »
The group at Frankfurt1 does quite a bit of Flank method Fe2+/Fe3+ work on mantle minerals with the electron probe.

It turns out that XANES is not as straightforward as you would expect for Fe2+/Fe3+ in minerals like garnet. A Moessbauer/XANES cross calibration for peridotitic garnet does not work for eclogitic garnet, as the differences in major element chemistry of the garnets are sufficient to screw everything up, because the Fe XANES signal is the result of both chemical/structural environment and valence state.

Synchrotron moessbauer2,3 is the way to go for Fe2+/Fe3+ in materials with natural 57Fe abundances, but who has a spare 57Fe borate crystal handy in addition to a synchrotron?

1 http://www.mineralogie.uni-frankfurt.de/petrologie-geochemie/mitarbeiter/hoefer/publikationen/

2 http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper_yard?vv5038

3 https://epub.uni-bayreuth.de/172/1/DissVP.pdf
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:11:25 AM by Jeremy Wykes »
Australian Synchrotron - XAS