Author Topic: Focus issues with JEOL  (Read 4176 times)

dawncruth

• Professor
Focus issues with JEOL
« on: February 21, 2015, 08:59:34 PM »
Hi probe folks,

I have been having focus problems with a JEOL for quite some time now. I have been programming longish runs (~12 hrs) to collect linear traverse data over crystals in three different thin sections.  I would program the different traverses in, taking *great* care to ensure that the points are focused before starting each run.  When I come back to to retrieve the data, several of these traverses return low totals as a result of poor focus.  I believe this may be a result of the stage movement between each crystal/thin section/traverse is too fast, but could be wrong.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Does anyone have any fixes?  It is quite frustrating to spend hours of time programming points to have to redo the next day because the data are poor.  Any help would be most welcome!!

Cheers,
Dawn

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Focus issues with JEOL
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 10:54:21 AM »
I have been having focus problems with a JEOL for quite some time now. I have been programming longish runs (~12 hrs) to collect linear traverse data over crystals in three different thin sections.  I would program the different traverses in, taking *great* care to ensure that the points are focused before starting each run.  When I come back to to retrieve the data, several of these traverses return low totals as a result of poor focus.  I believe this may be a result of the stage movement between each crystal/thin section/traverse is too fast, but could be wrong.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Does anyone have any fixes?  It is quite frustrating to spend hours of time programming points to have to redo the next day because the data are poor.  Any help would be most welcome!!

Dawn,
Is this on the 8530?  When you say "focus", you are referring to the light optics focus?  So your stage z position is not reproducible?  You should run a simple stage reproducibility test and see how it performs. See here also:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=178.0

and this test for x/y:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=44.0

The easiest way to test stage reproducibility is to use the Automate window and program a bunch of quick stage positions and just run the Confirm All Positions In Sample option.

Or one can write a quick test macro in Excel as documented here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?board=9.0

The Remote package, comes with a spectrometer reproducibility Excel macro example (TestReproduce.xls). This could be easily modified to test the stage. This Remote app can be downloaded here:

http://probesoftware.com/Update.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:55:55 AM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 11:48:35 PM »
If this is an 8530, then welcome to the club of the dodgy Z. I think David Steele gets around this with autofocus, but I cannot. JEOL are aware that there is a problem and are "working on it". The issue for me is that ca 3 hours after changing samples, the stage mysteriously and suddenly (we have seen it twitch) moves ca 30 microns in the + direction and this value is not recorded by the software. This means that each point recorded is now 30 microns out and of course plays havoc with totals. There are ways around this:
1) put your samples in, focus and go away. Come back 3 hours later.
2) put your samples in, peak and calibrate then start recording your unknowns. By the time the calibration is done (for me anyway) sufficient time has elapsed that the "little hop" has been and gone.
3) record your unknowns, but confirm these a couple of times at intervals. Also make sure if you are doing linear traverses that the option "check all positions in a sample" under "automate" is selected.
4) put your samples in and come back the next day!!

Unfortunately, the JEOL system is a bit like the slow country cousin requiring patience. One has to be very patient and allow the stage movement to settle down before confirming.
I've had a loss less problems by using one or more of the above approaches.
Cheers
Malc.

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:08:04 PM »
Folks!
I would go one step further than Owen and, as we discussed at a workshop in Hobart last weekend, for points requiring reproducibility of ca <10 microns, its probably best to sit there and do the measurements manually!! Sad but seemingly true.......
Cheers,
Malc.

dawncruth

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:19:11 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for these suggestions!  They look like great starting points to work on this. 

To answer some questions:

The probe is a JEOL 8350 and the focus issue is observable with the light optics.  I'd set it in focus, run the sample, and then come back and it would be out of focus. 

I posted before seeing Malcolm's post (dealing with a similar issue) in the JEOL specific section, so I'll link here:  http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=178.0

I'm planning on playing around with this and will keep y'all posted.

Cheers,
Dawn