Author Topic: TDI output request--add absorbed current  (Read 7015 times)

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
TDI output request--add absorbed current
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:49:58 AM »
One thing I am trying to compare is the difference between FE and W (SXFive and SX51) beam behavior on 'sensitive' and 'insensitive' samples under the beam. Thus TDI. I am able to include in the TDI data the monitored absorbed current when running the Cameca software on the SXFive, however, when I attempt to due a head to head test on my SX51 using PfE, I cannot include the absorbed current in the TDI output that is available under Output--> Save Custom Analysis Output --> Save Time Dependent Intensities, nor can I modify the Save User Specified Output to include absorbed current (there is a "measured beam current" but not explicit what it is, FA current I assume, but this window is not for TDI output so doesn't answer the question. It would be excellent to include the absorbed current  in this TDI output, both for legacy 9.6.x probes (like our SX51) and of course for the version 10. Note: there are some very interesting things going on with absorbed current under FE conditions, and I need to know how this compares with the W probe.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: TDI output request--add absorbed current
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »
One thing I am trying to compare is the difference between FE and W (SXFive and SX51) beam behavior on 'sensitive' and 'insensitive' samples under the beam. Thus TDI. I am able to include in the TDI data the monitored absorbed current when running the Cameca software on the SXFive, however, when I attempt to due a head to head test on my SX51 using PfE, I cannot include the absorbed current in the TDI output that is available under Output--> Save Custom Analysis Output --> Save Time Dependent Intensities, nor can I modify the Save User Specified Output to include absorbed current (there is a "measured beam current" but not explicit what it is, FA current I assume, but this window is not for TDI output so doesn't answer the question. It would be excellent to include the absorbed current  in this TDI output, both for legacy 9.6.x probes (like our SX51) and of course for the version 10. Note: there are some very interesting things going on with absorbed current under FE conditions, and I need to know how this compares with the W probe.

Hi John,
Good idea. I will add absorbed current to the TDI output.

The latest beta version of PFE (v. 10.6.8) now includes the output option for absorbed current as seen here:

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 03:10:17 PM »
Thanks, John!  Once that is implemented, I can examine all (counts and absorbed current) data I've collected on the SX51.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »
Thanks, John!  Once that is implemented, I can examine all (counts and absorbed current) data I've collected on the SX51.

Hi John,
The beam and absorbed current are now in the TDI output in the latest 10.6.8 beta which you can download in the morning.
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 03:37:47 PM »
Thanks for so quickly adding the FA and abs current to the TDI sample output

However, the abs measurement is the same thru out (the FA is which is understandable). Cameca in their software acquire the abs current measurement for every measurement (e.g. 1 second) and we see some rather varied (and unexpected) behavior under focused FE beam, so I ran the same materials on the SX51 and hoped to be able to similarly plot the counts and abs current with time.  So I am guessing either PfE is not recording it except for once at the beginning? Or is it that it is not outputting it correctly to the output file?

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 03:55:45 PM »
Thanks for so quickly adding the FA and abs current to the TDI sample output

However, the abs measurement is the same thru out (the FA is which is understandable). Cameca in their software acquire the abs current measurement for every measurement (e.g. 1 second) and we see some rather varied (and unexpected) behavior under focused FE beam, so I ran the same materials on the SX51 and hoped to be able to similarly plot the counts and abs current with time.  So I am guessing either PfE is not recording it except for once at the beginning? Or is it that it is not outputting it correctly to the output file?

Hi John,
Normally PFE is measuring the faraday current at the beginning and the absorbed current at the end.

I'm planning on adding an additional absorbed current measurement at the beginning to monitor changes during the measurement, but haven't had a request or the time as of yet.

But for now you should talk to Phil and have him help you write up a short macro in Excel for do this using our Remote interface.  Just use one of the supplied example Excel files and modify it to measure (through the PFE Remote interface) the absorbed current every time along with your intensities.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:34:50 AM »

After thinking about it for a few minutes I realize that with my new acquisition code it would be easy to implement both a before and after absorbed current measurement (for normal work) and also your request for absorbed current measurements during the TDI measurement.

But... I'm going to wait until after AMAS 2015 to do it!
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 06:46:20 PM »
John
Please clarify: do you measure tara current only once (beginning of acquisition)? I would think that it would be valuable to measure it both at the beginning and end, as a hedge/check for any beam drift during a measurement (yea, during 20 seconds _shouldn't_ have any...but for long measurements (e.g. traces, high currents) I'd think it might come in handy.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 06:58:05 PM »
John
Please clarify: do you measure fara current only once (beginning of acquisition)? I would think that it would be valuable to measure it both at the beginning and end, as a hedge/check for any beam drift during a measurement (yea, during 20 seconds _shouldn't_ have any...but for long measurements (e.g. traces, high currents) I'd think it might come in handy.

Yes, this exactly what I am going to do for both faraday and sample current measurements as soon as I get back from AMAS 2015. Although as you know, each analysis point is already beam drift corrected.
john
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:13:11 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
John
Please clarify: do you measure tara current only once (beginning of acquisition)? I would think that it would be valuable to measure it both at the beginning and end, as a hedge/check for any beam drift during a measurement (yea, during 20 seconds _shouldn't_ have any...but for long measurements (e.g. traces, high currents) I'd think it might come in handy.

Yes, this exactly what I am going to do for both faraday and sample current measurements as soon as I get back from AMAS 2015. Although as you know, each analysis point is already beam drift corrected.
john

Hi John,
The latest v. 10.6.9 (beta) now contains the before and after faraday and absorbed current measurements.

After AMAS I will implement the TDI absorbed current measurements and output.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 10:06:15 AM »
John

Thanks for adding the measured Fara and absorbed current both before and after.

Also thanks for implementing it in TDI.  However, there is still something to be done. I just downloaded 10.7.7 and I see the same issue as I saw a few days ago in 10.7.6. I see, in the live update acquire window (where counts are recorded every second) the second by second change in absorbed current.

However, when I output the TDI acquisition where it shows line by line the changing counts, the absorbed current for each line is constant, not changing. So something not quite right there.

Thanks.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 10:43:11 AM »
Also thanks for implementing it in TDI.  However, there is still something to be done. I just downloaded 10.7.7 and I see the same issue as I saw a few days ago in 10.7.6. I see, in the live update acquire window (where counts are recorded every second) the second by second change in absorbed current.

However, when I output the TDI acquisition where it shows line by line the changing counts, the absorbed current for each line is constant, not changing. So something not quite right there.

John: You mean the Output menu? Check the Run | Display TDI menu.  Is it visible there?   I haven't even had time to test this myself.

OK, I see what you mean- I will fix tonight.

Edit by John:  All fixed and ready to download.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:04:20 PM by John Donovan »