Author Topic: PI on SXFive  (Read 4393 times)

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
PI on SXFive
« on: January 10, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »
Today during setting up of the specific stage, spectro etc settings for Probe Image for our SXFive, I found some items which John may want to address, not biggies, but worth addressing none-the-less.

1. There is no SXFive machine option, only SX100 (not a biggie, but...)
more important
2. PI includes a listing of the deadtimes for the machine. Perhaps this is brand new for the SXFive and thus John wasn't aware of it, but on the SXFive, now Cameca has added a "precision" factor, whereby the hard electronic enforced deadtime which is in integer units (e.g. 3 [microsec]), now can be tweaked with a decimal number. This is given in a Cameca PeakSight configuration window, e.g. SP 1 has integer DT of 3 but the decimal (which can be - or +) is .22. Thus, the 'true' DT is 3.22. So it would be useful in PI to provide a real number vs the current integer one.
3. I would also ask that the Probe Image Setup Window be made wider (by say 33%) and that the left  'window shade' window be doubled in width, for ease of viewing.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: PI on SXFive
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »
1. There is no SXFive machine option, only SX100 (not a biggie, but...)

Hi John,
Happy to "address" your concerns.

As far as Probe Image is concerned there is no difference between an SX100 and an SXFive but I'll have Brian add that to the Sx100 list item so it is less confusing.

2. PI includes a listing of the deadtimes for the machine. Perhaps this is brand new for the SXFive and thus John wasn't aware of it, but on the SXFive, now Cameca has added a "precision" factor, whereby the hard electronic enforced deadtime which is in integer units (e.g. 3 [microsec]), now can be tweaked with a decimal number. This is given in a Cameca PeakSight configuration window, e.g. SP 1 has integer DT of 3 but the decimal (which can be - or +) is .22. Thus, the 'true' DT is 3.22. So it would be useful in PI to provide a real number vs the current integer one.

Yes, this has been in PeakSight ever since the SX100. Internally it's really no different from the Sx50 or Sx100. The deadtime values that you see displayed in Probe Image are utilized only for acquisition so the non integer part of the deadtime is used only for quantification.  Since the mapping quantification is performed by CalcImage, the proper "software" deadtimes are automatically applied during the mapping quant as one would expect.

3. I would also ask that the Probe Image Setup Window be made wider (by say 33%) and that the left  'window shade' window be doubled in width, for ease of viewing.

You should add this as a request on the probesoftware.com/mantis bug/feature site since you have access to it.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"