Author Topic: Beam map can't create Grid file?  (Read 7029 times)

BenjaminWade

• Professor
Beam map can't create Grid file?
« on: December 08, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »
Hi John and all
Just recently we carried out a beam map in ProbeImage, and went to try to quant it in CalcImage. When we get to the stage of importing the prbimg files we get the attached error. The message is correct, the map was equal dimensions in X and Y, but why does that matter for creating a grid file? Is there any workaround for it or do they really have to be different dimensions?

Cheers

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Beam map can't create Grid file?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »
Just recently we carried out a beam map in ProbeImage, and went to try to quant it in CalcImage. When we get to the stage of importing the prbimg files we get the attached error. The message is correct, the map was equal dimensions in X and Y, but why does that matter for creating a grid file? Is there any workaround for it or do they really have to be different dimensions?
Hi Ben,
It's not saying that they have to be equal dimensions, it's saying that the dimensions are all zeros!

Something isn't right- can you open the PrbImg file from the File menu in CalcImage?

Also, just to be on the safe side, please be sure you are updated to v. 10.5.4. Probe Image should be v. 1.1.0.1867.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:00:02 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »
Ben,
I just realized that I almost never import beam scan images from Probe Image for quantification, only stage scan images, but they both should have stage extent information. You did acquire the beam scan images from the mapping dialog, correct?

I'm not sure but if you just use the "Video Frame" menu to acquire from the Acquire menu for analog images, the images might not be calibrated in stage coordinates.

Can you send me the PrbImg file?

Yes, I can confirm that the Acquire Video Frame menu does *not* store stage extent information at this time:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:49:00 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

BenjaminWade

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »
Hi John
We acquired a set of beam scan maps from the Setup ---> Acquisition menu in Probe Image. We just read in the current location, read in the magnification, then set the dimensions to 500x500 pixels. I have attached one of the S maps. Looking at the header info in Probe Image you are right, there is no XY dimensions in it. Is there some way to manually edit the header if we know what the dimensions are...?

Cheers

Edit by John: Yes, I confirm there are no stage extents in the image you attached below.  I have no idea why that might be. Are you using the latest Probe Image (v. 1.1.0.1867)?

Yes, you can edit the stage extents as the PrbImg file is an ASCII text file.  I'm sure you have a Probe Image PrbImg file that does have stage extents so you can compare to the one you are editing, but I'll attach an example Cameca config PrbImg file as an example.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:05:21 PM by John Donovan »

BenjaminWade

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »
John it seems I have been remiss in updating our Probe Image. We are not using the latest version at the moment. I will update and hopefully find some time soon to repeat the experiment to see if it fixes it. We will manually edit the extents for the current set and see how we go. Horrible beam defocus anyway on some of the maps...but was just an exercise to see if we could glean any more resolution by some oversampling. Anyway will try and let you know!

Edit by John: No worries!  You didn't mention what version you were using but the latest Probe Image version has some nice features including support for z tilt correction for stage scans:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=242.msg1614#msg1614
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:12:11 PM by John Donovan »

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »
John it seems I have been remiss in updating our Probe Image. We are not using the latest version at the moment. I will update and hopefully find some time soon to repeat the experiment to see if it fixes it. We will manually edit the extents for the current set and see how we go. Horrible beam defocus anyway on some of the maps...but was just an exercise to see if we could glean any more resolution by some oversampling. Anyway will try and let you know!

Edit by John: No worries!  You didn't mention what version you were using but the latest Probe Image version has some nice features including support for z tilt correction for stage scans:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=242.msg1614#msg1614

Ben,
If you're interested in beam defocus, you might want to check this post:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=335.msg1743#msg1743
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

BenjaminWade

• Professor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 05:41:44 PM »
Thanks and thanks! I am embarrassed to say but we were using 1.0.0.1813. So yes...there have been a number of updates since that version...
Thanks Probeman. I had read that post but had forgotten about it. Very interesting. We were attempting to see if we could map the S distribution in thin bands a little better by making the pixel size less than 1 micron we usually use on the stage mapping.

Edit by John: OK, good to hear it was just an update issue.  Funny though, because that version, venerable as it is, worked fine. It just was missing some features that the newer versions have.  Anyway, it's all "water under the bridge" now, as they say.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:36:18 PM by John Donovan »