Author Topic: Cameca loading column conditions  (Read 5420 times)

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
Cameca loading column conditions
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:11:45 AM »
Hi John,

in PfE when loading some column conditions, it executes the hysteresis command after it sets the beam current. If that would be vice versa it would save some significant time. I think PeakSight does it this way round. Maybe worth changing that?

Cheers
Philipp

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Cameca loading column conditions
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:35:10 AM »
In PfE when loading some column conditions, it executes the hysteresis command after it sets the beam current. If that would be vice versa it would save some significant time. I think PeakSight does it this way round. Maybe worth changing that?
Hi Philipp,
I was browsing through the topics here when I found this post by you. It looks like you sent it just before IUMAS earlier this summer and it appears it fell off my radar!

So to answer you, I checked and yes, the hysteresis is set at the very end of setting the column conditions, actually after setting the beam current and beam size.

So although it would be simple to move the hysteresis command to before setting the beam current and beam size, why would it be faster?  And is this the best place to set the hysteresis?  I really have no idea...

Anyone?
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:52:03 AM »
Hi John,

that was a late reply, but it was a reply!! Thanks.

I don't know why it is faster, but try this:

In PeakSight: Set the beam current to NOT regulated. Press the hysteresis button several times. It is "fast".
Set the beam current to regulated and press the hysteresis button again, and again. It is MUCH slower.

Is that not so on your instrument?

Cheers
Philipp

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:16:24 AM »
I don't know why it is faster, but try this:

In PeakSight: Set the beam current to NOT regulated. Press the hysteresis button several times. It is "fast".
Set the beam current to regulated and press the hysteresis button again, and again. It is MUCH slower.

Is that not so on your instrument?
I never tried this, but I will ASAP (next week).

In the meantime I believe you and will modify the code as you indicate- so I'll put the hysteresis call just before setting the beam current regulation...
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:48:15 AM »
Thanks John. I hope though our machines behave in the same way. But I cannnot imagine why not for the beam regulation... There should be no difference.

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 03:01:48 AM »
Hi John,

I have a question: Does a recent version of PfE still do the hysteresis call? I do not observe it any more when setting beam conditions. I have the "HysteresisPresent=1" in my init file. Did something change in the code?
The hysteresis call is especially useful if I change the beam spot size.

Thanks
Philipp
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:05:48 AM by John Donovan »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
I have a question: Does a recent version of PfE still do the hysteresis call? I do not observe it any more when setting beam conditions. I have the "HysteresisPresent=1" in my init file. Did something change in the code?
The hysteresis call is especially useful if I change the beam spot size.

Hi Philipp,
It should be.

Checking if this string shows in the log window status when the column condition is being loaded: "Sending hysteresis command...".  It sends it just before setting the beam current.

Also you need v. 1.7 or higher of the Cameca driver.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 02:41:18 AM »
Hi John,

yes indeed, it does. Ok, that is fine like that.

Now a little request: Can we have the hysteresis call also when changing the beam size? Because on the SX100R this is realized by defocussing. And this introduces a hysteresis on our machine. So, whenever the beam size (a.k.a. focus) is changed by, for example the "Analysis Conditions" dialogue, or the "Combined Conditions" dialogue, or whatever, can we execute a hysteresis call after the beam size (focus) was changed?

Cheers
Philipp

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 08:13:29 AM »
Hi John,

yes indeed, it does. Ok, that is fine like that.

Now a little request: Can we have the hysteresis call also when changing the beam size? Because on the SX100R this is realized by defocussing. And this introduces a hysteresis on our machine. So, whenever the beam size (a.k.a. focus) is changed by, for example the "Analysis Conditions" dialogue, or the "Combined Conditions" dialogue, or whatever, can we execute a hysteresis call after the beam size (focus) was changed?

Cheers
Philipp

Hi Philipp,
You want the hysteresis command sent every time the beam size is changed?

Will this bother other people I wonder?  Seems excessive, unless one is setting a fully focussed beam (size zero).  Doesn't it?
john

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 08:35:31 AM »
Hi John,

ok, why don't we agree on issuing the hysteresis command when we are setting a fully focussed beam? That sounds fair enough to me.

Edit: Can you maybe add a condition, like:
if beam size = non-zero
and requested beam-size = zero
then issue hyst command.

Cheers
Philipp
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:39:55 AM by Philipp Poeml »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 09:44:20 PM »
ok, why don't we agree on issuing the hysteresis command when we are setting a fully focussed beam? That sounds fair enough to me.

Edit: Can you maybe add a condition, like:
if beam size = non-zero
and requested beam-size = zero
then issue hyst command.

Hi Philipp,
The latest version of PFE (v. 11.4.1) sends a hysteresis command after setting the beam size from non-zero to zero.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 02:33:10 AM »
Hi John. Seems to work great. Thanks!