Author Topic: How do I specify a non-pure element standard in CalcZAF?  (Read 6359 times)

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
How do I specify a non-pure element standard in CalcZAF?
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
I am trying to run the "check all spectrometers for equivalent K-ratio" test on my microprobe. That is, verify
(1) that all spectrometers give equivalent K-ratios for a specific crystal  and
(2) that the values returned are the correct values.

I have acquired Mg, Si and Al Ka counts on TAP on 3 spectrometers, on both oxide standards, and on a "good" reference material (NIST K412) which I am using as the test. I see 2 spectrometers give very close counts to one another and the 3rds is somewhat different. The question is, are the 2 correct and the 1 is not? For that I want to use CalcZAF to determine the theoretical raw-K-ratio for the 3 characteristic peaks, but when I "enter composition from database" for K412 (which I have as a std in the std database), and click "calculate" it shows the theoretical k-ratio relative to pure element std. If I click on an element (e.g. Mg), Element Properties box pops up, and Assigned Standard is a box, but it is greyed out and I cannot tell it to use my MgO as the std. I'm sure there is some way to tell it to use MgO but I don't see how.  What is the solution?

Thanks for making this great software available.  :)

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: How do I specify a non-pure element standard in CalcZAF?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
Hi John,
Simply use the Output | Save CalcZAF Format menu in PFE to export your data and re-calculate it in CalcZAF. Note that if you enter a composition in CalcZAF it calculates intensities (k-ratios) from the composition. But if you enter intensities (manually or by importing from PFE), it will calculate concentrations.

But for your k-ratio comparison, you can simply look at the k-raw when the element is assigned as the primary element and is re-calculated as a standard. 

Or convert using the std k-factor. Of course that depends on the matrix correction.

But for simply comparing that all your spectrometers give the same k-ratio within precision, all of this is really unnecessary since you just want to know if they all agree.  Who is to say what they "should be" except by measurement!
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 03:01:31 PM »
I should also add, that adding a compound standard is easy if you first select one of the intensity to concentration calculation options in CalcZAF.  Then just click on each element to modify the primary standard.

Edit: of course you'll need to add the standards to the calculation using the Standard | Add/Remove Standards To/From Run menu.

See the example CalcZAF.dat file for examples by clicking the File | Open CalcZAF Input data File menu:

Simply click the Load Next Dataset From Input File button to see each data set one at a time and click the Calculate button to see the calculation results:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:55:02 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 06:49:39 PM »
If the standard composition you want to specify for quantitative analysis in CalcZAF is *not* in the standard database, then you will need to add it to the standard database (Standard.mdb) using the Standard | New menu in Standard.exe. All standard compositions in Probe Software applications are indexed by a unique integer standard number.

If you would like a good introduction to using CalcZAF, this thread provides a starting point:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=81.0
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400