Author Topic: Exporting WDS scans with background model  (Read 4782 times)

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
Exporting WDS scans with background model
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:45:22 PM »
Hi John,

I would like to export WDS scans showing the chosen background model to the clipboard. However, when I hit the "clipboard" button, the background model disappears. Is there another way to achieve this (with clipboard)?

Thanks!
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Exporting WDS scans with background model
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:00:56 PM »
I would like to export WDS scans showing the chosen background model to the clipboard. However, when I hit the "clipboard" button, the background model disappears. Is there another way to achieve this (with clipboard)?

Yes!

Simply hit <alt> <PrtScn> and the current window will be saved to the clipboard (as opposed to the entire screen using just <PrtScn>).  Then paste into your favorite paint program (I use Paint.net),

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

and crop as necessary.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »
Hi John,

thanks. I actually found two more methods that I find even more convenient. Maybe this is of interest for other people too:

1) Add background model. Open the "system" graph control (4th icon from the right, looks like a turquoise tissue box) in the plot graph data window. There I have the option of exporting an image as WMF, BMP or JPEG to a selected location. Voila!

2) In the "Background model" window, click print. It will print the graph into a pdf document. Open in Acrobat, copy and paste into the document.

Not sure if this is the best place but as it is related to WDS scans and documentation, another question:

When I plot several wavescans together in one graph, they all show with the same color. I found how to change the color, weight, pattern etc but it will always apply them to the entire set of line. Is there a way to select each line individually and change its color etc.?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:17:06 PM by Anette von der Handt »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place but as it is related to WDS scans and documentation, another question:

When I plot several wavescans together in one graph, they all show with the same color. I found how to change the color, weight, pattern etc but it will always apply them to the entire set of line. Is there a way to select each line individually and change its color etc.?

Hi Anette,
Yes, this is partly a limitation of the graph control I am using and also some issues with the manner in which the data is treated... I actually (well Barbara actually) just purchased a new graphics control that I will be implementing this summer that won't have these limitations.

In the meantime, simply export the wavescans (again see the special wavescan output menus under the Output menu), and import them into any of your favorite plot apps (I use Grapher). The optional .KLM file contains all the KLM marker data for plotting KLM markers.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »
1) Add background model. Open the "system" graph control (4th icon from the right, looks like a turquoise tissue box) in the plot graph data window. There I have the option of exporting an image as WMF, BMP or JPEG to a selected location. Voila!

2) In the "Background model" window, click print. It will print the graph into a pdf document. Open in Acrobat, copy and paste into the document.

Yes! I had forgotten about these options but you are correct.

Sometimes I suspect more of my brains are in the software than in my head.  ;)   At least the software never forgets!
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 07:23:34 PM »

Yes, this is partly a limitation of the graph control I am using and also some issues with the manner in which the data is treated... I actually (well Barbara actually) just purchased a new graphics control that I will be implementing this summer that won't have these limitations.

In the meantime, simply export the wavescans (again see the special wavescan output menus under the Output menu), and import them into any of your favorite plot apps (I use Grapher). The optional .KLM file contains all the KLM marker data for plotting KLM markers.

Thanks, that is good to know. I wasn't sure if I just missed it. Looking forward to the new graphic controls, in the meantime I will use Grapher.