Author Topic: Quick standards not compatible with Use digitized sample setups  (Read 6414 times)

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
Hi John,

I am sitting here with Karen and we are trying to figure out how to analyze our samples. The idea was to use quick standards but they don't seem to work with sample setups.

Why is that? Could you implement that?

Maybe you could tell us what options we have:
We are measuring 24 elements. So we do want to use quick standards.
We have standards at 25 kV / 10 nA / 0 um spot size and at 25 kV / 10 nA / 10 um sport size. Counting time for standards is 20/10/10 seconds.
For unknowns we have 25 kV / 100 nA / 0 um spot. And counting times would be 100/25/25 seconds.
We would like to re-measure our standards every 4 hours.

How can we do that? I am sure there is a solution in PfE.

Thanks for your help!
Philipp

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Quick standards not compatible with Use digitized sample setups
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »
I am sitting here with Karen and we are trying to figure out how to analyze our samples. The idea was to use quick standards but they don't seem to work with sample setups. Why is that? Could you implement that?
It is complicated.

Quote from: Philipp Poeml
Maybe you could tell us what options we have: We are measuring 24 elements. So we do want to use quick standards. We have standards at 25 kV / 10 nA / 0 um spot size and at 25 kV / 10 nA / 10 um sport size. Counting time for standards is 20/10/10 seconds. For unknowns we have 25 kV / 100 nA / 0 um spot. And counting times would be 100/25/25 seconds. We would like to re-measure our standards every 4 hours. How can we do that? I am sure there is a solution in PfE.

Just make the current unknown sample the exact sample setup you want to use. Then just check the use quick stds checkbox:

That should then acquire quick stds using the setup you want to use.  Thwe re-standard checkbox is near the bottom right.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:06:19 PM »
Thanks, John, but this was not about how to switch on "quick standards". That is quite straight forward. It is about how to use automation with different setups and quick standards.

Could you please read again and help us figure out how to do that? We are using three different conditions here, 2 for the standards, and one for the unknowns.

"We are measuring 24 elements. So we do want to use quick standards.
We have standards at 25 kV / 10 nA / 0 um spot size and at 25 kV / 10 nA / 10 um sport size. Counting time for standards is 20/10/10 seconds.
For unknowns we have 25 kV / 100 nA / 0 um spot. And counting times would be 100/25/25 seconds.
We would like to re-measure our standards every 4 hours."

How can we do this with PfE?

Thanks again.
Philipp

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 11:47:18 AM »
"We are measuring 24 elements. So we do want to use quick standards. We have standards at 25 kV / 10 nA / 0 um spot size and at 25 kV / 10 nA / 10 um sport size. Counting time for standards is 20/10/10 seconds. For unknowns we have 25 kV / 100 nA / 0 um spot. And counting times would be 100/25/25 seconds. We would like to re-measure our standards every 4 hours." How can we do this with PfE?

Hi Philippe,
As I said, I have trapped acquiring "quick standards" with sample setups. Why? I'm not sure and I would have to look into it and yes, it is possible that it could be implemented, but that won't help you now I realize. Sorry.

In the meantime, as you said, there are so many ways to accomplish the same thing in PFE, maybe there is a solution for you... how about the Use Digitized Conditions option described here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=229.msg1104#msg1104

You can use "quick standards" with "digitized column conditions" from the Automate! window as seen here where we have assigned 15 keV, 10 nA and 20 um conditions to the SiO2 standard:

and here, where we have assigned 50 nA and 10 um to the magnetite standard:

So this means you can assign different analytical conditions to every digitized standard position (and every unknown position sample also) and it will automatically utilize "quick standards" if it is selected.  8)
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:22:16 PM »
Hi John,
thanks for the reply. This is a good solution. So, as long as we won't change the counting times this should work pretty well.

Question: Do quick standards work with file setups?

There might be another solution. It involves a lot of preparation, but in our case it is worth the effort. What about creating for each of the 24 elements a different sample setup? One sample setup per element? In each sample setup we can choose conditions, count times, and the elements of interested. Doing this we would build our own quick standards. Then we would assign each sample setup to the corresponding standard and then we could "use digitized sample setups" without the need for quick standards.

What do you think?

Cheers
Ph

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »
Question: Do quick standards work with file setups?

Sorry, no. Same problem as with sample setups. But I will look into this again as soon as I get a chance.

Quote from: Philipp Poeml
There might be another solution. It involves a lot of preparation, but in our case it is worth the effort. What about creating for each of the 24 elements a different sample setup? One sample setup per element? In each sample setup we can choose conditions, count times, and the elements of interested. Doing this we would build our own quick standards. Then we would assign each sample setup to the corresponding standard and then we could "use digitized sample setups" without the need for quick standards. What do you think?

Actually I hadn't thought of that!  It would be a bit of work to set up the first time, but should provide lots of flexibility.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »
I thought it might be a good idea to explain the Automate! window in a bit more detail.

"Use Last Unknown Sample" is the default mode for the Automate! window. In this mode the software automatically creates unknown and standard samples based on the last unknown sample. So if your last unknown sample is Si, Se, Fe and Cu then all samples will be acquired using these elements at the conditions of the last unknown sample as seen here:

If using the "Use Quick Standards" option the software will automatically skip the acquisition of elements that are not utilized for quantification, unless no elements are utilized for quantification in which case all elements will be acquired as seen here:

Additional "quick standard" options are found in the Acquisition Options dialog from the Acquire! window as described here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=8.msg1095#msg1095

Also note that the Replicate feature is available in this mode. This option will automatically re-acquire N replicate points on every point digitized for replicate statistics (non beam sensitive samples only!).

The next Automation Basis is "Use Digitized Conditions" which allows the user to over ride the last unknown conditions with analytical conditions specified by the user as seen here:

This is very useful where the same element setup need to be acquired but using different beam conditions for different positions.

The next Automation Basis is the Use Digitized Samples Setups: where the user can save previously specified sample setups (using the Add To Setup" button in the Analyze! window) where each sample is slightly or completely different. These samples setups are assigned as seen here:

Note that this mode can be used for automated thin film characterization (or the Use Digitized Multiple Setups option described below).

The "Use Digitized File Setups" will base the automated sample acquisition on selected samples from one or more previous probe runs. This allows the user to have different global settings (e.g., TDI assignments) on different elements for different samples as seen here:

The last Automation Basis is the "Use Digitized Multiple Setups" option as seen here:

This option can also be utilized for thin film samples by specifying three sample setups, each with a different keV. For thin film samples I create three different sample setups (sample setups are simply samples with no data) all with the same elements but with different beam energies. For example, when analyzing typical thin films 50 to 100 nm thick I usually run at 10, 15 and 20 keV.

Thinner films might require 5, 10 and 15 beam energies and thick films 15, 20 and 25 beam energies depending on the physics details.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:11:31 PM by John Donovan »

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 07:53:11 AM »
Hi John,

where are we concerning this? Did you look into this? I still would like to use sample setups with quick standards. It's a very handy feature!

Cheers
Philipp

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 08:17:47 AM »
Where are we concerning this? Did you look into this? I still would like to use sample setups with quick standards. It's a very handy feature!

Hi Philippe,
I've been swamped the last few months but will try and look at this when I get a chance.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"