Author Topic: JEOL matrix correction methods  (Read 4750 times)

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
JEOL matrix correction methods
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
Hi all,

our version of the JEOL software offers 5 different correction methods: (1) ZAF, (2) Bence and Albee, (3) Calibration curve (4) Thin film and (5) PRZ. Being faced with all the different options in PfE I wondered what they are equivalent to in the JEOL software. I found out about (1), (2) and (4) but could not find any documentation on (5). Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Paul Carpenter

• Professor
    • Washington University Analytical Facilities
Re: JEOL matrix correction methods
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »
Hi Annette,

The short answer to this is that the JEOL PRZ algorithm is the Armstrong PRZ algorithm with Henke/Heinrich macs that was ported from CITZAF basic code to C for use on the JEOL UNIX computers. The mac set is probably not exactly the same as what is the default for CalcZAF.

Beyond this short answer I recommend using PFE for all quant work because it has a great selection of mac data files.

If you have to make a comparison, the JEOL ZAF correction is approx. equal to the Philibert Duncumb Reed ZAF.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Carpenter
Washington University St. Louis

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
Re: JEOL matrix correction methods
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »
Hi Paul,

thanks for the answer. Yes, I do generally quant work now with PFE but I would like to be able to compare our data with published/older data in systems with large ZAF corrections.

Cheers,
Anette
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.