Author Topic: Odd recording of samples names  (Read 4233 times)

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
Odd recording of samples names
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:09:55 PM »
Hi John
I am running [Analyse]. I have opened a link to excel, selected all my unknowns and have "pause between samples" selected. What is appearing in excel is the sample name for the last sample in the list plus the current analysed line. The sample name for the analysed line is not being recorded. This is odd........ And no good....... How can I make it put the correct sample name for the correct line number?
Cheers,
Malc.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:33:50 AM by John Donovan »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Odd recording of samples names
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »
I am running [Analyse]. I have opened a link to excel, selected all my unknowns and have "pause between samples" selected. What is appearing in excel is the sample name for the last sample in the list plus the current analysed line. The sample name for the analysed line is not being recorded. This is odd........ And no good....... How can I make it put the correct sample name for the correct line number?

Hi Malcolm,
OK, I see the problem.  When multiple samples are selected, only the last selected sample gets sent to Excel using the >>Excel button, not the currently analyzed sample...  this feature wasn't designed for multiple selection, but I will fix it this weekend.

But if you want to get all the samples into Excel, the easiest way is to simply click the Output | Save User Specified Format menu.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 06:21:03 PM »
Hi John
That will be very helpful....thanks. I am doing your suggestion to give the user a full run down on the analysis. I find the output messy (sorry), and tend to use the manual output to excel to get the data in a more visually friendly format. I then, if needed, recast for stoichiometry, calculate and use the lower copy button to paste this to the correct row in the excel file I am developing. This way I have something that is easy for the user to digest with the minimum of mods needed.
It's time consuming, but it makes people happy....
Cheers,
malc.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:53:03 PM »
That will be very helpful....thanks. I am doing your suggestion to give the user a full run down on the analysis. I find the output messy (sorry), and tend to use the manual output to excel to get the data in a more visually friendly format. I then, if needed, recast for stoichiometry, calculate and use the lower copy button to paste this to the correct row in the excel file I am developing.

Hi Malcolm,
I think there are several easy tricks to getting manual data out of Probe for EPMA that you might not be aware of, so I will list a few of them here:

1. In the Analyze! window you can select specific samples and have them directly output to ASCII files and optionally an Excel spreadsheet:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=8.msg427#msg427

2. You can use the "Copy" buttons in the Analyze! window to paste the data into Excel. Since the text is tab delimited, it automatically formats for Excel as seen here:

3. Or just dump it all out using the Output | Save User Specified Output Format menu as seen here:

If there is an output you need, just let me know.

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:24:35 PM »
...I have opened a link to excel, selected all my unknowns and have "pause between samples" selected. What is appearing in excel is the sample name for the last sample in the list plus the current analysed line. The sample name for the analysed line is not being recorded...

All fixed and ready to download v. 10.3.3 Probe for EPMA...  thanks for finding this subtle bug!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:10:29 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400