Author Topic: Microprobe "flight deck" screen and desk arrangement  (Read 4626 times)

Karsten Goemann

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
Microprobe "flight deck" screen and desk arrangement
« on: February 07, 2014, 07:31:39 pm »
How do you all arrange your screens, keyboards etc, especially after adding the Probe Software PC?

When we did the Probe Software installation in 2010, we didn't have the funds to get a 30 inch, so we got 2x24 inch instead. I like to keep the screens as close together as possible and have none of them too high up so users don't have to crane their neck too much.

We've got the two 24 inch at the bottom for the Probe Software PC, the three 19 inch Cameca screens above, and the TV for the light microscope camera next to it. I tried to replace the CRT TV but didn't find a LCD screen that had equal or better image quality.

The LCDs are mounted to a rack system with two posts, two rails and VESA mount brackets/arms and is fully adjustable in all directions. We're quite happy with it.

We use a single USB keyboard & mouse with the Synergy software to move between screens, which can also share the clipboard between PCs.

Cheers,

Karsten

Edit by John: I've taken the liberty of adding our computer spec document to Karsten's post as that is part of the equation too of course. See attached pdf.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:47:28 am by John Donovan »

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Microprobe "flight deck" screen and desk arrangement
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 09:05:12 pm »
We used aluminum architectural strut material and had our machine shop mount the heads of the Dell monitor stands on them, and then attach each with a welded flange on the bottom and 4 screws using thread inserts into the wooden counter top. We did our Sx50 and the Quanta SEM the same way also using two 24" monitors on each instrument.

http://camcor.uoregon.edu/tour/pans/microanalytical_lab.html

Personally, I like this "double-decker" setup. The high monitors forces one to sit straight up and for teaching, the students can see better.

The first photo is my lab at the UofO and the second is Paul Carpenter's monitor setup.
john

I should add that our monitors are permanently connected to both computers, but the keyboard and mouse and shared by a standard Belkin KVM switch.  I'll try and post some close-up pictures later.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:24:04 pm by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Jason in Singapore

• Post Doc
    • FACTS Lab at NTU
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:35:55 am »
Hi all,

We are still in the process of working out a suitable monitor arrangement. Our JEOL 8530F has two 19” monitors and we purchased a 30” for pfEPMA. For now, we are constrained to the 120 x 100 cm tabletop supplied by JEOL. Using stacks of books and isometric strength training, we tried a few different arrangements. The over/under configuration for the two JEOL 19’s seems to provide the best combination of ergonomics and functionality (see images).

There were a couple of bugs getting the JEOL software to operate in the over/under configuration, such as windows over the top of windows, invisible windows, and we temporarily lost the OM view. After a couple of restarts it seems to work ok and we are getting used to the layout. I haven’t decided yet whether the two 19’s should go on the left side next to the instrument or on the right. The lower 19” monitor might not have much clearance above the tabletop, and I still need space for the manual controls. Sometimes it’s nice to shove them a bit under the monitors. Additionally we have CL controls behind the monitors on the desk. We don’t need to access those much but it’s still nice if we can operate the CL with an easy “reach-around”.

I have a few quick questions for the community:

Has anybody had any good or bad experiences running their JEOL with over/under monitor configuration?

What is the ideal distance between the leading edge of your table and your screens?

What percentage of the time do you spend gazing into the JEOL and pfEPMA monitors, respectively?

What are the JEOL features you need to access most often?

Also, on our TEM’s we have configured the keyboard/mouse to work across two PC’s simply by dragging the cursor into the monitor(s) associated with a particular PC. We are planning to do something similar when we install pfEPMA. Is this the most desirable arrangement? What are other people doing?

Hey John – be sure post photos of the “EPMA Holodeck” once it materializes.
"Truth is relative, belief absolute"

Gareth D Hatton

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:03:43 am »
I have six monitors in total.  Four for the Jeol software and two for the Probe software.  I have stands that attach to the back of the monitor for the middle two.  These are Ergotron (http://uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/monitor-stands-and-arms/0000630772-00000001) . I use a KVM to switch one of the monitors to another write-up PC as the Probe doubles as my desk.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 04:09:33 pm »
I thought I'd add some more details for monitor mounting which we use not only on our Sx100 but also our Sx50 as seen here (attached below).

If you are interested in how we blended the computer graphics and the RGB video from the SX50, see attached schematic below.

Note that you need to be logged in to see attachments!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:56:38 am by Probeman »

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 04:10:42 pm »
The Quanta SEM monitor layout is seen in this attached photo.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 04:11:38 pm »
A close up of the top and bottom attachments (see attached photos below).

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 04:13:20 pm »
Close up of the Sx100 monitor mounting which is slightly different for these monitors (see attached photo below).

Karsten Goemann

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 04:51:08 pm »
Two more photos from the side and back for the monitor mounting system on our SX100. It is a commercial one by Colebrook Bosson Saunders.

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 10:02:35 pm »
I recently received my new JEOL JXA-8530FPlus at the University of Minnesota and I thought I show off my current flight deck arrangement.

First off, JEOL gave me the option to have a 55-inch 4K TV (SAMSUNG) instead of two 30-inch monitors which I took. The result looked quite awesome and got very positive feedback from visitors to the lab.

If I would have only had the JEOL software I probably would have stuck with this solution. However, not only do I need Probesoftware to run but I also got the SXES detector that has its own dedicated computer. Even though the EDS will share its computer with the Probesoftware, this meant at minimum three computers and more monitors (look at that sad thing in comparison on the right).

While many solutions exist to have a single computer connected to multiple monitors there are only limited solutions to have multiple computers to a single monitor. Some TV's have a PIP (picture-in-picture) option but this one was missing this function (and its usefulness is limited as the additional picture tends to be small and in a corner). There may be a solution by using VPNs or a program like Teamviewer but I couldn't quite make it work.

Other downsides of the TV was that this much real estate is actually too much in my opinion for the distance at which one sits sit (I did not really use the corners and upper 20% as you strain your neck and have problems to see small fonts). Also, the screen had some glare relative to a business monitor. Again, it would have been fine if I would have had only a single computer.

Luckily, Dell recently released a multi-client monitor 43 inch 4K P4317Q that allows the input from up to four computers (I think LG has one too but the reviews are much less favorable for my needs). The monitor can be set-up in different arrangements (each quadrant to a different computer, one upper half wide for one computer and one quarter each below for two other computers etc.).

I have now two of these monitors  side-by-side and so far I am very happy. Here is a picture with the probe for scale. Not as impressive as the single 55 inch but still good with the 43 inch each and taken together even more space (but easier to angle towards the user).

Here is a closer look of the monitors and the program windows.

And here is the current distribution of the different programs.

I may give the JEOL software another quarter screen (for the optical microscope image although I can currently make it large quite easy) and I like that this monitor gives me this option. I can also just switch the right monitor to JEOL only if we don't use the SXES for examples, it is overall quite flexible.

I have Mouse-without-Borders running on all computers and it feels seamlessly to move between all monitors and computers but may switch to Swing Mouse because of occasional glitches (but it could also be Windows 10 related). Best of all, Teamviewer for remote operations works just great with this arrangement.

Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Karsten Goemann

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 05:10:22 pm »
I've just posted the screen and keyboard/mouse sharing setup for our JEOL JXA-8530F Plus at Uni of Tasmania here:
http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=1057.msg6968#msg6968

Julien

• Professor
  • The truth is out there...
    • Geoloweb - J. Allaz personal website
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 07:01:06 am »
Here is our "flight desk" at the University of Colorado Boulder (JEOL-8230, LaB6). Two large DELL monitor on the left for JEOL, two smaller one for Probe for EPMA and a big screen that we chiefly use on the Probe for EPMA / Thermo computer (however, the monitor is also linked to the JEOL computer, just a matter of changing HDMI-1 to HDMI-2). The ginormous 65'' monitor is pretty ideal for teaching purpose.

We also use Mouse Without Borders to work with only one keyboard and one mouse (wireless). This works pretty smoothly, just one word of caution: DEACTIVATE Mouse Without Border when using TeamViewer or any other remote control software! Otherwise, there are some time when you remote control the computer, where the mouse "disappear" (it goes to the other screen / computer), and we loose (temporarily) control on the computer we are remotely controlling.

One thing not visible on these photos is the Axis PTZ camera, which is very useful for touring the lab to a large group of students (20, 50, and even 100!), and for other demo purpose.

Cheers,

Julien
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:00:25 am by John Donovan »

Changkun

• Post Doc
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 09:21:03 am »
Today two 43-inch 4K monitor (LG 43UD79T) has arrived and set up.
Half of one monitor is for JEOL PC, and the other half and one another monitor are for PfE.
Dell 43-inch 4K monitor (P4317Q) is used for the post-processing PC and USB document camera (IPEVO HD).

neko

• Professor
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 03:00:31 pm »
Funny timing for this thread to rear its head.

I received a free, older TV, so I added it to the setup, and was trying to figure out what to do with the other four monitors when I wandered into campus surplus and what had they literally just put on sale but a quad monitor stand. A couple hours and 8 screws later and we have 4 Peaksight monitors and 1 live probe view. Now all we need is PfE and we'll fully be in the 21st century!

update: today I realized that both the 4k monitor and the windows XP computer have DisplayPort connectors. So I hooked it up (the TV was hooked up via VGA and stuck at 720p. BOO!). And after a bit of fiddling around, I got Windows XP to support full 4k resolution.... which I didn't think was possible. But dang does PictureSnapApp look great with ultra-high-res scans on a 4k monitor!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:45:13 am by neko »