Author Topic: Building free EPMA online tools  (Read 336 times)

Dominik

• Post Doc
Building free EPMA online tools
« on: March 27, 2023, 08:10:20 AM »
Dear all,

over the years I accumulated a number of EPMA tools, e.g., visualising energy schema, element electron configuration, finding transition energies, an interactive model for the Bragg equation, an interactive plot to find interferences, calculating interferences, standard files, dedicated data reduction tools, ...
As it became more and more simple to deploy such tools online as (platform independent) websites, I am currently in the transition to put all these tools online. Also, online documentation tools became easier to deploy, so I started to also document these online. However, it is all very much in the works, why I am restraining myself for the moment to share a link, but hope to can do this soon.

However, programming all these tools takes a lot of time, and I could imagine that I am not the first to think of this. So I would very much like to ask whether someone or a couple of you would be interested in joining forces, and make this a community effort. And of course, maybe similar efforts/programs exist that could be ported to such a community build platform for EPMA tools.

If I can raise interest for this, the idea would be as follows:
- build some kind of consortia (as long as we are more than 2-3 people, ideally more) that meets on a regular basis to plan and structure the effort
- I have a seed in place to demonstrate how this could work
- program the tools using Python
- collaborate on all tools using GitHub, in this case I'd be happy to transfer the tools I already build to a consortia account
- document everything using Quarto
- integrate this into larger international efforts such as the OneGeochemsitry initiative (still young, I'd be happy to tell more about this)
- structure and design it so it can be equally used for research & teaching

I know I am relatively new (although I follow it since about 2 years) to this forum, but certainly not to electron microprobe and its usage. I also teach course with lots of digital material, which I'd be happy to incorporate in this (I actually already did).

It would be great, if we could build such an online resource/platform, and am looking forward to what you think and if some of you would be interested to join. Also please spread the word. My direct contact is: dominik.hezel ... em.uni-frankfurt.de

Best,  Dominik

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:57:04 AM by Dominik »