Author Topic: Most efficient platform for standardized combined EDS and WDS  (Read 66 times)

orlandin

• Professor
Most efficient platform for standardized combined EDS and WDS
« on: November 10, 2021, 12:55:03 PM »
Hello, all!

It is getting to the NSF MRI time of year here, and I'm starting to think that my dream analytical instrument is a sort of hybrid 'microprobe' and 'SEM' with rigorous high-volume >1,000ppm quant capability provided mostly by EDS, with 1-2 WDS detectors providing backup for the trace concentrations, plus variable pressure capability (not for quant, obviously) and and EBSD plus CL. Definitely an airlock and an in-column faraday cup. Probably should be a Schottky source. I'd prefer to use PFE for the collection and post-processing given the ease with which one can collect and organize huge amounts of data.

So, this hypothetical instrument has the stability and fine stage control of what would normally be called a 'microprobe', but I just don't think I need more than one or two WDS detectors to meet the needs of researchers now or in the future - standardized EDS is able to meet the vast majority of quant demands now. Plus, an instrument with EDS, WDS, EBSD, and CL would replace two aging instruments here, and I would rather have one overbooked instrument that everyone loves than two more specialized instruments that struggle to break even. What do you all think? Does anyone have such a versatile instrument? Can you think of why this would be stupid/impossible? What manufacturers would you recommend for the platform and detectors?

One of the biggest problems I can see is the sensitivity of WDS to surface Z position. Is the only way to solve this reliably with a reflected light scope? Why can't you use a capacitive position sensor like these: http://www.microsense.net/products-position-sensors-vacuum.htm

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Most efficient platform for standardized combined EDS and WDS
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 12:14:27 PM »
Perfect microanalysis instrument for me would be:

1. JEOL FEG electron column

2. Cameca WDS spectrometers with linear optical encoding

3. Bruker or Thermo SDD EDS

4. Cameca stage with linear optical encoding

5. Cameca light optics

6. JEOL electronics

7. Polycold cryo-pumped vacuum baffle (100 Kelvin) with turbo pump

And of course Probe Software EPMA applications...   :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 01:37:57 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!