Author Topic: JEOL Qualitative Spectra Export (bin conversion)  (Read 1373 times)

Dominik

• Post Doc
JEOL Qualitative Spectra Export (bin conversion)
« on: June 10, 2021, 10:02:19 PM »
Hello,

the JEOL software stores qualitative spectra in .qlw binaries that I can only read with the xqlw software. Is there a way to convert the files so I can import them to e.g., Excel?

Thanks,  Dominik

Nicholas Ritchie

• Professor
    • NIST DTSA-II
Re: JEOL Qualitative Spectra Export (bin conversion)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 10:05:05 AM »
This GitHub repo has code to decode JEOL data files.

https://github.com/Bob620/xes_converter

I don't know who Bob620 is but Anette von der Handt might know.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are"
  - Teddy Roosevelt

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 10:08:04 AM »

That would be Noah Kraft, who indeed works with Anette.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Brian Joy

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 11:29:59 AM »
Hello,

the JEOL software stores qualitative spectra in .qlw binaries that I can only read with the xqlw software. Is there a way to convert the files so I can import them to e.g., Excel?

Thanks,  Dominik

Hi Dominik,

It's very easy.  Just open the wavelength scan (or set of scans) in xqlw, then select File > Export, choose an output folder, select the format you want (e.g., "Data & Axis [mm]"), and check the "all" box.  This will give you output as a csv file (or set of csv files).

Brian

P.S.  You can add the deadtime correction prior to exporting by selecting Operate > Calculate > Correct Dead Time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:52:10 AM by Brian Joy »
Brian Joy
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
JEOL JXA-8230

Dominik

• Post Doc
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 12:52:29 AM »

Thanks. I'll check this.

Dominik

• Post Doc
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 12:53:33 AM »
Hello,

Thanks,  Dominik

Hi Dominik,

It's very easy.  Just open the wavelength scan (or set of scans) in xqlw, then select File > Export, choose an output folder, select the format you want (e.g., "Data & Axis [mm]"), and check the "all" box.  This will give you output as a csv file (or set of csv files).

Brian

P.S.  You can add the deadtime correction prior to exporting by selecting Operate > Calculate > Correct Dead Time.

Hi Brian,

thanks – I've seen that, but I have quite a lot I want to export which would make this quite a tedious way.

Best,  Dominik

glennpoirier

• Professor
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 07:42:16 AM »
Hi Dominik,
You can open the qlw files in ImageJ (import raw, 64 bit, little-endian ) and save them as text images. You can get the size and conditions from the cnd file associated with each spectrum.
If you're handy with imageJ macro language it shouldn't take a huge amount of work to export a pile of spectra. You can start with the batch processing macro https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/macros/BatchProcessFolders.txt.

Cheers
Glenn

Dominik

• Post Doc
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 10:52:04 PM »
Thanks, Glenn, for the idea. I know only a little ImageJ, but some Python and would prefer to find a solution with this. I'm at it together with a student.

Mia Kraft

• Graduate
  • CompSci Student working with Anette at the UMN
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 01:30:47 PM »

Thanks. I'll check this.

That is correct, I am Bob620 (My old internet Username). I have recently changed my name from Noah to Mia though that is a different conversation.

The primary aim of the code in that repo is to export SXES data, that includes the QLW files you are looking at. I assume these file formats are the same because the majority of SXES software adapts existing spectrum software and formats that JEOL already had in place.

The `Next` branch has the most up-to-date code in it and it has a fairly complete `--help` function. Since it is written in Javascript it should work on any operating system as well. I am still doing active development on this code, though it has been slow as of late.

I am always open to providing help as needed, though the code is very incomplete it should do what you want. I can also provide a more detailed setup of the data structure of the QLW file.

Dominik

• Post Doc
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 12:31:33 AM »
That is correct, I am Bob620 (My old internet Username). I have recently changed my name from Noah to Mia though that is a different conversation.

The primary aim of the code in that repo is to export SXES data, that includes the QLW files you are looking at. I assume these file formats are the same because the majority of SXES software adapts existing spectrum software and formats that JEOL already had in place.

The `Next` branch has the most up-to-date code in it and it has a fairly complete `--help` function. Since it is written in Javascript it should work on any operating system as well. I am still doing active development on this code, though it has been slow as of late.

I am always open to providing help as needed, though the code is very incomplete it should do what you want. I can also provide a more detailed setup of the data structure of the QLW file.
[/quote]

That's great, thanks! I'll try and contact you via email though this webpage.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 08:27:49 AM by John Donovan »