Author Topic: System maintenance/fix-it tips and tricks  (Read 590 times)

DavidAdams

• Professor
System maintenance/fix-it tips and tricks
« on: March 18, 2020, 04:17:08 pm »
In light of current world events I would like to propose a sticky forum topic where we all can share our knowledge of problems we've encountered with our various instruments and solutions/fixes that we have come up with on our own or have been provided by the manufacturer. I think that we all have a lot of experience with instrument issues and hold a vast amount of knowledge, collectively, in our heads about we ultimately fixed whatever was ailing us and our machines.
David Adams
The University of Auckland
Faculty of Science | School of Environment

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: System maintenance/fix-it tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 04:46:19 pm »
This topic is now "sticky".  Please feel free to share your collective JEOL tips and tricks!
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

jeolunlv12

• Graduate
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 05:40:03 pm »
Hi David and JEOL users,

My jxa8900 shut down yesterday.

The N2 is 80 psi and chill water looks normal, all fuses are good. I turned off "consul electronics" and tried to turn on the main switch, there is no response from mechanic pump, only hear the fan turns. The main switch went back to off position after releasing it (usually it would be at on position if the pump starts).

Any suggestions what might be wrong?

Minghua

DavidAdams

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 01:12:25 pm »
Hi Minghua,

That seems to me like you might have something seized in your roughing pump. If the motor on one of the other components is seized then the pump will overload the circuit and it will trip the mains breaker.

I had the main motor on the 8900 at the USGS in Denver go out in November. The service engineer came out and replaced the pump motor and it started working just fine again.

I hope this helps!
Dave
David Adams
The University of Auckland
Faculty of Science | School of Environment

jeolunlv12

• Graduate
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 11:30:39 am »
Dave, thank you.