Author Topic: Nitrogen gas generator  (Read 3148 times)

dawncruth

• Professor
Nitrogen gas generator
« on: July 30, 2019, 02:32:57 PM »
Hi all,
John Donovan mentioned his Nitrogen generator at University of Oregon. Since we're moving, I asked about it. Also, I've been on backorder with Praxair a couple of times now...for nitrogen, which is 80% of the atmosphere. Anyway

See below for the information
---
Hi Dawn,
Yes, it's a Perkin-Elmer Nitrogen generator. In 2006 we paid about $5000 for it, but it seems prices have gone up a bit since then:
https://www.perkinelmer.com/product/generator-n2-w-comp-30-0l-min-230v-n9303224
There must be cheaper models to choose from somewhere. I asked another staff here and they remember the unit being more like $13000, but then it was a new building and it supported venting for about 12 beam instruments, so really a no brainer cost wise for us.

John

---

Hi John,
It totally makes sense. We don't have 12 instruments, but I can see it being useful for the probe, SEM and the FTIR unit we have. Also, our Ar/Ar folks use nitrogen as well.  I did note that cost was contingent upon flow rate. The link you supplied sends us to the 30 L/min generator. Lower flow rate = lower cost.  Does the probe require 30 L/min? Or do you have that flow rate because of the 12 instruments?

Thanks,
Dawn

---

Hi Dawn,
Yeah, we're serving not only the instruments but also N2 blowoff guns on the etching hoods, so we had to add a large 50 gal ballast tank to the line in case someone went wild using the N2 guns.
So in your case you can calculate the average consumption (how many airlock exchanges and chamber vents over time) and try to estimate maximum usage.
We really should be discussing this on the forum!

John

So here we are. Cut out the middle man and make your own nitrogen gas!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Nitrogen gas generator
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 02:52:56 PM »
I should mention that this membrane technology, provides N2 at typical bottle purity (99.996%). 

We have only exchanged the membrane filters a couple of times since 2006 I think (the device beeps when it's time to change the membranes), and they weren't that expensive at all. The key is to have a compressed air supply that provides relatively clean air (minimal water and oil). 

Well worth not having to pay rental on bottles that have to be dragged around the lab! 

Now if only there was a P-10 gas generator available!   ;)   
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

dawncruth

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 02:46:54 PM »
I should mention that this membrane technology, provides N2 at typical bottle purity (99.996%). 

We have only exchanged the membrane filters a couple of times since 2006 I think (the device beeps when it's time to change the membranes), and they weren't that expensive at all. The key is to have a compressed air supply that provides relatively clean air (minimal water and oil). 

Well worth not having to pay rental on bottles that have to be dragged around the lab! 

Now if only there was a P-10 gas generator available!   ;)   

John -
Do you have problems with leaks/contamination? Also, how did you decide on perkin elmer? Do you have issues with your compressed air being compromised by the generator? In other words, does the generator pulling on the compressed air affect the performance of the compressed air itself?

Thanks,
Dawn
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 03:57:40 PM by dawncruth »

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 07:12:29 PM »
Hi Dawn,
Actually it's one of the best investments we've made. The entire CAMCOR facility is running off this one generator for N2 venting, which basically only needs to have its membrane filters changed every few years. No bottles to exchange, and it's 99.996 % purity.

No effect on the compressed air that we've noticed, but it uses very little air. The most important thing is that we added a good oil/water remover prior to the entry into our facility (which keeps the membrane filters happy), and we also added a small (~50 gal) "ballast tank" in the line for when some student uses too much N2 from the blow guns in the fume hoods.
john
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:11:41 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!