Author Topic: Did you replace a chiller?  (Read 2748 times)

dawncruth

• Professor
Did you replace a chiller?
« on: July 08, 2019, 12:07:53 PM »
Hi all,
It looks like we'll have to replace our chiller. Any good suggestions for where to buy a chiller for a probe if you replaced yours?

Thanks,
Dawn

dawncruth

• Professor
Re: Did you replace a chiller?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 05:33:38 PM »
Hey Owen,
We don't have a complete failure yet. The chiller was swapped for the previous one which was running low on Freon. The new chiller is Freon-based as well.  So far, the chiller works when the probe is on vacuum only. When we turn on the electronics, it jumps to quite high temps. Obviously that is a no go.  Added to that, the room in which the chiller is located is currently running 90-100 degrees. So yeah, we're fixing the HVAC for that space. But the swapped chiller may still not work. I'm just collecting the information in the event I need to buy a new one.

Dawn

sem-geologist

• Professor
Re: Did you replace a chiller?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 04:33:58 AM »
Hi all,
For our SX100 and SXFiveFE we use LabTech (Italian company) chillers which I can tell only good about. Of course they sometimes fail (pump, ventilator engine, electronics) as any other "modern" equipment, however the chiller is designed and built with maintainability in mind - Simple disassemble and easy access to the components. It is possible to buy and switch components. The chiller we bought for SXFive was running without any issue for 4 years after that we had to replace pump and hose to the pressure meter. I really like the stability of the water temperature - the deviation is less than 0.1 C (less than on the paper).

cheers,