Author Topic: Cameca .Tiff file outputs  (Read 42 times)

jon_wade

• Professor
Cameca .Tiff file outputs
« on: June 14, 2019, 10:22:40 am »
Dear collected wisdom

I know this isn't the place, and I know John's (very valid) answer, but that may have to wait until we win the lottery...

Anyone have experience of exporting images from peak sight 6?  I have a *lot* collected in a mosaic, but each one is being exported with a different intensity, suggesting that, somewhere, they are being auto ranged.
All I really want is raw counts so I can stuff them into python and, if necessary, fix the ranging, but I cannot work out if they are ranged, and if so how, or even how to get the unadulterated raw data out of PS6. 
CSV data looks like 32 bit tiff which appear to be raw counts, but its really not clear how or what is going on in the software.

Anyone got any magic insights?  (granted, its a lot of data... but each .imDAT file is 3+Gb.  Nope, no idea what is in that 3 Gb.....pixies?  unicorns?  analysts tears? ;) )

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Cameca .Tiff file outputs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 01:03:42 pm »
I know this isn't the place, and I know John's (very valid) answer, but that may have to wait until we win the lottery...

Listen up mate, you talking about our software?  "Win the lottery"?  You're at Oxford University, right?  I think you meant to say, "hold a bake sale".  Either that or lotteries in the UK are pretty disappointing!   ;)

Anyone have experience of exporting images from peak sight 6?  I have a *lot* collected in a mosaic, but each one is being exported with a different intensity, suggesting that, somewhere, they are being auto ranged.
All I really want is raw counts so I can stuff them into python and, if necessary, fix the ranging, but I cannot work out if they are ranged, and if so how, or even how to get the unadulterated raw data out of PS6. 
CSV data looks like 32 bit tiff which appear to be raw counts, but its really not clear how or what is going on in the software.

Anyone got any magic insights?  (granted, its a lot of data... but each .imDAT file is 3+Gb.  Nope, no idea what is in that 3 Gb.....pixies?  unicorns?  analysts tears? ;) )

Don't know anything about the ImDAT file format, but from my failing memory the .ImpDat image file format has a 1 (or 2) kilobyte header and then just long integers (X by Y).  It's a binary file but it would be easy to write some code to process these files if all you need are the intensity values.

And yes, we have asked Cameca repeatedly for the format of the .ImpDat header and they simply refuse to provide it, saying: just use the ASCII export file.  Unfortunately the ASCII export format leaves some things ambiguous, not to mention that they modify it on occasion. So the binary format would be much better to parse, especially if one wants the raw intensities. But maybe someone out there will specify information on the .ImpDat header format as part of their next Cameca microprobe purchase...?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:57:49 pm by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

jon_wade

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:27:09 am »
cheers John - I can see myself getting Hexedit out at some point  :P

Looking at consecutive BSE Tiff's of the same material, the grey levels are varying.  Is this a scaling thing in the software?

Honestly, I can promise you that should we have a windfall we'll definitely be investing PfEPMA, but cash, for a variety of reasons, appears short right now.

I'd be interested to know from others, but I get the distinct smell in the UK that geoscience demand for EPMA and analysis in general is declining.... :(

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:15:36 am by John Donovan »

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 10:21:25 am »
Looking at consecutive BSE Tiff's of the same material, the grey levels are varying.  Is this a scaling thing in the software?

Hi Jon,
You're asking about the TIFF files from PeakSight?  I have no idea, but I do know that we have to set the BSE mode from "Differential" to "Ground", and then adjust the brightness until the image looks good, otherwise the BSE images show streaks when the BSE signal changes from pits and cracks.

Also on my system we have in the past seen gradients from left to right in the BSE brightness at lower magnifications:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=583.msg3318#msg3318

This can be fixed by adjusting some electronics.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!