Author Topic: New Version 10.0.x Probe for EPMA  (Read 4029 times)

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
New Version 10.0.x Probe for EPMA
« on: July 05, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »
Probe for EPMA v. 10.0.x is now available for manual download *only*.

This new Probe for EPMA version supports the 8900/8200/8500/8x30 and SX100/SXFive instruments.  This means that JEOL 733/8600 (AMB interface), Cameca SX50/51 (DRV-11 interface) and TRACOR interface instruments will stay at version 9.5.x until further notice.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You *cannot* update your PFE software automatically to this new 10.0.x version. You must either manually download the msi installer files from probesoftware.com\update.htm or from one of our FTP download folders, but please *note* that the new FTP install files are now in the Probe for EPMA\V10 folder (not the Win7 folder)!  The web pages already have corrected links.

To install the new PFE version, first uninstall your current PFE installs from the Control Panel |Add/Remove Software and then install both the CalcZAF.msi and ProbeForEPMA.msi installers.  Your current configuration and standard composition files will not be overwritten, but as always, make a backup just in case!

Contact Probe Software if you need download directions or the login and password.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:15:04 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: New Version 10.0.x Probe for EPMA
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »
Note that there is a rare bug that sometimes causes the ProbeForEPMA.msi installer to skip updating the CalcZAF and Standard exe files. I suspect this sometimes occurs when there is another update pending and the computer hasn't been re-started...

Specifically the files circled in red below that are dated 6/8/2014 even though the other PFE specific exe files were properly updated as seen by the files dated 6/16/2014:

If you suspect that the CalcZAF.exe and Standard.exe files were not updated properly from the normal update, you will want to re-run the ProbeForEPMA.msi file (no need to download it again), by simply locating it in the Probe for EPMA application folder and double-clicking it. You will eventually see this screen:

Just click the Repair button and the CalcZAF and Standard exe files will be properly updated this time.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 01:24:17 AM »
Hi John,

now that the update zip does not exist anymore, do I always have to download both the calczaf and pfe msi then to update?

How do I update?

Cheers
Ph

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
Hi John,
Now that the update zip does not exist anymore, do I always have to download both the calczaf and pfe msi then to update?

How do I update?

No, you only have to download and install ProbeForEPMA generally if you are just updating. The PFE installer also contains CalcZAF.exe, Standard.exe, etc.

If there is a reason to download and run the CalcZAF.msi installer, I would let everyone know. Then you would just run CalcZAF, click the Help | Update CalcZAF menu, and run the installer just like for PFE.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:46:17 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"