Author Topic: Polygon Extraction and/or Pixel Filtering  (Read 498 times)

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Polygon Extraction and/or Pixel Filtering
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 11:01:11 am »
Ok, I think I might know what is going on.

In x-ray maps the statistics for a single pixel are essentially determined by the pixel dwell time.  So increasing the number of pixels doesn't much change the standard deviation (in a homogeneous material).

If you want to see the error decrease as a function of the (increasing) number of pixels, then what you want is the standard error (not the standard deviation) of the pixels.

This is because the standard error describes the error of the average, while the standard deviation describes the error for a single measurement.

Now as to why we (in science) routinely report the average and the standard deviation (rather than the average and the standard error), is a question I have asked several statisticians over the years, and the only answer I've heard is that "maybe because the standard deviation is larger and therefore a more conservative estimate"... but maybe one of you more mathematical types can enlighten us? 

I myself would sure like to hear why it is that we don't usually see the average and standard error reported together more often.

In any case, this pixel averaging situation may be a case in which the standard error is more applicable than the standard deviation?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:05:25 am by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 04:28:44 am »
Hi John,

Thanks you've got it, I was describing the need for standard error (I'd calculated the standard error without realizing it) when averaging pixels.

Your previous question 'long concentrations' should have read 'low concentrations' but it is a problem for all concentrations. I'll modify the post

Ben
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:56:40 am by Ben Buse »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 11:38:23 am »
Hi John,

Thanks you've got it, I was describing the need for standard error (I'd calculated the standard error without realizing it) when averaging pixels.

Your previous question 'long concentrations' should have read 'low concentrations' but it is a problem for all concentrations. I'll modify the post

Ben

Hi Ben,
OK, cool.

I can imagine that some might like to see the actual standard deviations and some might want to see the standard errors.

I'll see if we can squeeze in an additional option button or checkbox somewhere!   Won't be until this weekend though, sorry.
john
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:30:11 pm by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"