Author Topic: Turn off a spectrometer  (Read 1787 times)

glennpoirier

• Professor
Turn off a spectrometer
« on: February 26, 2018, 05:49:39 AM »
Hi All,
I'm sure I've seen this on the forum somewhere but do you think I can find it? I have on spectrometer currently not working and the probe thinks its current position is 454 mm(!). PFE thinks this is obviously wrong and shuts down with a warning. Is there a way to temporarily tell PFE to ignore this spectrometer?

Thanks

Glenn

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Turn off a spectrometer
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 07:35:22 AM »
Hi All,
I'm sure I've seen this on the forum somewhere but do you think I can find it? I have on spectrometer currently not working and the probe thinks its current position is 454 mm(!). PFE thinks this is obviously wrong and shuts down with a warning. Is there a way to temporarily tell PFE to ignore this spectrometer?

Hi Glenn,
Sorry your instrument isn't feeling well!   :)

Just edit this keyword for the bad spectrometer number in the [hardware] section of your probewin.ini file until the spectrometer is repaired:

DisableSpectrometerNumber=0      ; disable spectrometer flag allows a single spectrometer to be ignored by the program
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

glennpoirier

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 08:06:03 AM »
Hi John,
Thanks for the quick response, should have looked harder! This is what I was looking for but unfortunately it doesn't do what I need.
When PFE first starts I get the following message:
Warning spectrometer 1 is disabled for all real time operations!
Then I'm asked if I want to connect to the microprobe, I say yes and then i Get the message below and PFE exits.
I'm trying to find out how to enter an arbitrary position in the JEOL software but in the meantime is there anything else I can try on the PFE side?

Thanks

Glenn

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 10:17:56 AM »
Hi John,
Thanks for the quick response, should have looked harder! This is what I was looking for but unfortunately it doesn't do what I need.
When PFE first starts I get the following message:
Warning spectrometer 1 is disabled for all real time operations!
Then I'm asked if I want to connect to the microprobe, I say yes and then i Get the message below and PFE exits.
I'm trying to find out how to enter an arbitrary position in the JEOL software but in the meantime is there anything else I can try on the PFE side?

Hi Glenn,
Clearly we haven't tested this spectro disable feature for some time! 

I'll need to tweak the code to skip this spectrometer during the initialization.

Give me a few minutes and I get back to you.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

glennpoirier

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »
All better now, it just ignores the position of the disabled spectrometer.
Thanks for the rapid response! On with the analyses!

Cheers

Glenn