Author Topic: STRATAGem with printer port (LPT1) hardware key (dongle)  (Read 4807 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
STRATAGem with printer port (LPT1) hardware key (dongle)
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:13:46 PM »
We recently updated our computer that we use for reprocessing thin film data using Probe for EPMA with STRATAGem to Win 7 (64 bit).

Unfortunately, when we try to run STRATAGem we get the error Check SAMX key! and the program terminates.

Does anyone know how to get the SAMx hardware key in the printer port to work under Windows 7?
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

jrminter

• Professor
Re: STRATAGem with printer port (LPT1) hardware key (dongle)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:46:10 PM »
My Win7 system uses a USB dongle. I had some issues when I updated to the latest version and needed to patch the key. Jean-François Thiot at SamX was helpful. You can start with the website: http://www.samx.com/microanalysis/products/products_us.html and look at the "Download" Tab at the top. There are updates to both Stratagem and the SamX Dongle dated from May and August 2017, respectively. The update patched my USB dongle; I'm not sure about the LPT version. Hope this helps.

John

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: STRATAGem with printer port (LPT1) hardware key (dongle)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:59:46 PM »
My Win7 system uses a USB dongle. I had some issues when I updated to the latest version and needed to patch the key. Jean-François Thiot at SamX was helpful. You can start with the website: http://www.samx.com/microanalysis/products/products_us.html and look at the "Download" Tab at the top. There are updates to both Stratagem and the SamX Dongle dated from May and August 2017, respectively. The update patched my USB dongle; I'm not sure about the LPT version. Hope this helps.

John

Hi John,
Thanks for the info. I had already contacted SAMx last week but no response yet. Isn't France on vacation all August?   ;)

I think all would be fine if I had the USB dongle.  I suspect that the method used to access the (ancient) LPT dongle is direct hardware access, which is forbidden in Win 7.

I guess I'll wait to hear from SAMx.
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!