Author Topic: Questions  (Read 3971 times)

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
Questions
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:33:15 PM »
Hi John,

A few quick questions:

1) Sometimes I measure some standards 6 points, some 10 points. Is it possible from the automation window to measure the exact programmed points of a standard?

2) Is it possible to measure a standard in two goes, so they end up in two different samples? Like, if 1) is not possible, I could at least try to measure 6 + 4 points.

But then they end up in different samples, and I checked today, when I quantify it uses only the average count from the last standard, i.e. the 4 points and ignores the 6 points.

2) Could there be an option that when I use the Jog Stage button from e.g. the move window, that the faraday cup is automatically inserted before the jog and removed after the jog?

Cheers
Philipp
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:19:56 AM by John Donovan »

Ben Buse

• Professor
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
Hi Philipp,

If I understand (1) - instead of doing a line or 6 or 10 points to the left of the starting point. You can specify 6 or 10 individual points. In automation instead of just updating the start point. You put in the 6 or 10 points for the standard.

Ben

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 04:07:37 PM »
1) Sometimes I measure some standards 6 points, some 10 points. Is it possible from the automation window to measure the exact programmed points of a standard?

Hi Philipp,
I think Ben and Owen answered this question for you already.  Owen's comment on the "Use Only Digitized Points" takes care of question #2 I think.

2) Is it possible to measure a standard in two goes, so they end up in two different samples? Like, if 1) is not possible, I could at least try to measure 6 + 4 points.

But then they end up in different samples, and I checked today, when I quantify it uses only the average count from the last standard, i.e. the 4 points and ignores the 6 points.

You can certainly assign duplicate sample setups in the Automate! window using the Multiple Setups button and then the software will acquire that sample or standard twice or more. You can also use the "grain number" feature for digitizing standards.  If the "grain number" changes in the position list, the software will blank the beam between the move to next position (because they are two different grains mounted in epoxy). 

Remember, PFE doesn't "ignore" any standard data, but if there's no unknowns between the standards (for the purposes of drift correction), there is nothing it needs that standard for!

3) Could there be an option that when I use the Jog Stage button from e.g. the move window, that the faraday cup is automatically inserted before the jog and removed after the jog?

Certainly possible, but I would like to understand better why this is useful...
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:01:47 AM »
Hi all,

thanks for helping out! This checkbox "Use only digitized standard positions" was exactly what I was looking for!

For the jogging: We usually have small stuff with plenty of epoxy. So when I jog, I end up with my beam on the epoxy and burn it. An automatic faraday movement would take care of that.
Yes, it has to be optional. Either .ini, or Move window, or acquisition options.

Cheers
Ph

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »
For the jogging: We usually have small stuff with plenty of epoxy. So when I jog, I end up with my beam on the epoxy and burn it. An automatic faraday movement would take care of that.
Yes, it has to be optional. Either .ini, or Move window, or acquisition options.

Hi Philipp,
OK, I understand. 

I'm not trying to be "snarky" or anything, but in the Move window with the Jog Stage button, there's also a button that says "Insert Faraday"...
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »
Hi John,

yes, there is a button. But people like me forget to press it and it would mean 3 mouse clicks when jogging instead of 1...

Cheers
Ph

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:48:43 AM »
yes, there is a button. But people like me forget to press it and it would mean 3 mouse clicks when jogging instead of 1...

Hi Philipp,
I understand.

So if I was able to squeeze in another checkbox in the Move window defaulted to the current behavior, and the flag was persistent on a per run basis, but reset on a new run, would that be OK?  In other words you'd have to remember to check that box the first time for each new probe run...

Are you needing to jog the stage on your SX100R because the shielded stage is so heavy?
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 03:27:52 AM »
Hi John,

what exactly is a new run? You mean an automation run? Could it be persistent for that opened MDB file? So, if I open the MDB file in the morning, the check box state would be remembered until I close that mdb file?

Yes, because of the SX100R stage we are jogging for every single point to see where we really are. It makes quite some difference on the shielded stages.

Cheers
Ph

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 08:36:13 AM »
You mean an automation run? Could it be persistent for that opened MDB file? So, if I open the MDB file in the morning, the check box state would be remembered until I close that mdb file?

Yes,  yes, and yes.

john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 11:35:47 AM »
Then I would say this is great great and great! I look forward to the check box!

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »
Then I would say this is great great and great! I look forward to the check box!

Hi Philipp,
It was too difficult to squeeze in another checkbox (and I would also have to add a check box to the Confirm dialog as well because it has a stage jog button too), so I instead used your original suggestion and made it an INI file parameter that you can set.

So after you update to v. 11.8.5 of PFE, run PFE once to add the new keyword to the probewin.ini file (under ProgramData folder), then open the Probewin.ini and change the line in the [hardware] section to this:

InsertFaradayDuringStageJogFlag=1

This should now automatically insert the faraday cup when you click the jog button (if it was out) and pull it out afterwards.
john
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:02:36 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400